Recommended Zoos / Wildlife Parks

I felt a little sad coming into this thread for the first time and seeing Matt was the first to post after the op. RIP mate

I didn't know!
Met him on a TP Meet at the National Memorial Arboretum - when did it happen?

I'll third the vote for Chester zoo. Again it's been a few years since I've been but have never had a poor time there. I particularly like the butterfly house. It has been suggested to me that the earlier you get to the butterfly house the better as they aren't so mobile first thing.

Has been a while since I have been to establishments.

So FWIW
British Wildlife Centre
Hawk Conservancy
Woburn Safari park
Big cat sanctuary (the one on Hertfordshire)
Howletts
Durrells (Jersey)*

All bar Durrells were photographer sessions visits, though BWC I have also been on public open days.

Just been to Knowsley safari park this afternoon.. Not that many there so nice easy drive round...

Bit drab.. Not much life about.. I think the big cats had just been fed.. could only find one tiger... Took the safe route around the monkeys and glad i did.. the people that went in .. every car got attacked.. number platers.. wipers and even the rubber seal round windows

The tiger was through the glass in the enclosure as you walked round... The lions where through the car window as you drive round..

cats_001.jpg

cats_002.jpg

cats_003.jpg

cats_004.jpg

I was really looking forward to our visit to Chester zoo last week but I have to say, I came away quite disappointed. They have a few "flagship" species but none were on show. No Cheetah, no Jaguars, even the giant Anteater was in his "house". I've had better visits to Bristol & Whipsnade. Could have just been a bad day I guess.

I was really looking forward to our visit to Chester zoo last week but I have to say, I came away quite disappointed. They have a few "flagship" species but none were on show. No Cheetah, no Jaguars, even the giant Anteater was in his "house". I've had better visits to Bristol & Whipsnade. Could have just been a bad day I guess.
It can be difficult sometimes the cats have large enclosures which is good but sometimes not easy to see them
We tried to renew our membership by telephone but phones weren’t manned just a message saying to email which we did but never got a response
Will try again in a couple of months when it’s quieter

One "issue" that all zoos seem to be facing is no-shows, especially from the predators. This used to be bypassed by feeding during opening hours but since the feeding always seemed to attract bigger crowds, the animals are now fed during down time. Hopefully, as restrictions are slowly eased, public feeding might come back onto the menu.

feeding might come back onto the menu.
Yes the "cafes" used to be very popular and reasonably priced at Whipsnade.
Since "River Cottage" took over the contract its become very much over priced and smaller portions.
Top tip take your own food to Whipsnade.

( Oh I see what you mean :D )

the animals are now fed during down time
They stopped feeding the predators years ago, at ZSL, I guess some people complained at the site of day old chicks / whole chickens Rabbits etc being thrown into pens. Although occasional Tigers can be seen gnawing at something on a "platform"
I guess they didn't eat it quick enough, when the zoo was shut ;)

There have always been warning signs at Dartmoor Zoo, especially at the Jaguar - they (used to) hang heads for him to crack open! The spectacle of him swinging on the head was a big draw for the school parties!!!

Big fan of Howletts, Went to Chessington about a month ago but didn't enjoy it much.
My absolute favourite zoo/sanctuary so far is in France
https://www.la-vallee-des-singes.fr/en/

Hardly any cages, most "enclosures" are a series of islands surrounded by moats. All looks extremely natural.
The moats themselves are full of dragonflies, birds, toads, even snakes. Could spend a whole day just shooting what's in the moats.

Has anyone been to Edinburgh zoo and highland wildlife park ?
We are going later in the year spending a few days up there

Has anyone been to Edinburgh zoo and highland wildlife park ?
We are going later in the year spending a few days up there
Can't help with that.

But I Can't recommend Whipsnade at the moment.

All the lions are now gone, age related issues apparently.
There is 1 male cheetah from 6 girls an 2 boys.
2 or 3 hunting dogs from 5.
1 brown bear from 3
The Squirrel monkeys have gone to London
The female red panda was put down due to age related problems,
The male has gone to a breeding programme, and the cub is now in the
Squirrel monkey enclosure.
Great for him, but he was hard enough to to spot in his 1 tree enclosure.
I'm sure there is more, ( Less) but that's off the top of my head.

Off peak prices ( which we are still in for now) £28 Standard price £30!
And you still have to book in advance...

Can't help with that.

1 brown bear from 3

Oh no that’s not good :( how can they justify such a high entrance fee

Chester zoo my nearest zoo has got very expensive as well does still have a lot to see they haven’t had big cat cubs for a few years now but still has success breeding rhinos
We went in late summer but was so busy in the entrance area we gave up and went home , I haven’t renewed our membership this year , they didn’t reply to our emails trying to join anyway
Will probably join again next year apparently it’s not so busy at the moment

how can they justify such a high entrance fee
I really have no idea.
Thankfully as a Fellow its costs £90 a year, unlimited visits with a car, and 1 guest per visit.
Otherwise I wouldn't bother either!

As a thought, have you looked at Zoo Chat?
They seem to have threads / area's for most zoos home and abroad.
I only look at the ZSL ones though.

I really have no idea.
Thankfully as a Fellow its costs £90 a year, unlimited visits with a car, and 1 guest per visit.
Otherwise I wouldn't bother either!

As a thought, have you looked at Zoo Chat?
They seem to have threads / area's for most zoos home and abroad.
I only look at the ZSL ones though.

Thanks I used to visit Zoo Chat but forgot about it to be honest will rejoin

Can't help with that.

1 brown bear from 3

That is a shame- I quite fancied Whipsnade, as I have a wedding shoot booked in July in Dunstable ( Ex Army buddies Daughter) :( Thought on day 2 I'd take the Mrs there

Les :)

That is a shame- I quite fancied Whipsnade, as I have a wedding shoot booked in July in Dunstable ( Ex Army buddies Daughter) :( Thought on day 2 I'd take the Mrs there

Its all about the predators for me, there is still things to see, though, deer park, ( drive through only) elephants a "bird" lake, butterfly house, chimps, meerkats, lemur walk through, which may or may not be open. and more.

Its all about the predators for me, there is still things to see, though, deer park, ( drive through only) elephants a "bird" lake, butterfly house, chimps, meerkats, lemur walk through, which may or may not be open. and more.
Me too the Lions mostly as I love to see the teeth ( does that make me weird?)

I did visit once before pre Covid and enjoyed it- its some walk though I chose not to take the Discovery in the Deer park as I can see Deer anytime here in Somerset

Me too the Lions mostly as I love to see the teeth ( does that make me weird?)
Well, as you may have noticed, I always go for the gob shot.
So yes I'm weird too :D

There is a rumour that a new pride will be back, but not until 2023.
Lets hope its true :)

I know Yorkshire Wildlife Park will have been mentioned but as of last year it has a new entrance and even more animals. I'm slightly biased as it's local for me but I think the annual passes are very good value for money.

I know Yorkshire Wildlife Park will have been mentioned but as of last year it has a new entrance and even more animals. I'm slightly biased as it's local for me but I think the annual passes are very good value for money.
I've not been there since pre Covid, and the revamp, Its a hell of a trek for me, but well worth the visit.
I must get up there again, now its been revamped :)

I've not been there since pre Covid, and the revamp, Its a hell of a trek for me, but well worth the visit.
I must get up there again, now its been revamped :)
I'd wait till winter time is over and closing time changes from 4pm to 6pm

Just seen that Bristol Zoo is to close in the Autumn.

Just seen that Bristol Zoo is to close in the Autumn.
At least its not all bad news

The 12-acre site is due to be sold with planning permission for sustainable homes set in beautiful gardens.

Money from the sale will help pay for the development of the new Bristol Zoo which will be built at the Society’s Wild Place Project and is due to open in 2024. The new Bristol Zoo will have conservation, education and sustainability at its heart.

At least its not all bad news

The 12-acre site is due to be sold with planning permission for sustainable homes set in beautiful gardens.

Money from the sale will help pay for the development of the new Bristol Zoo which will be built at the Society’s Wild Place Project and is due to open in 2024. The new Bristol Zoo will have conservation, education and sustainability at its heart.
That’s good news at least the money will be spent setting up a new zoo

There is a small pride of lions currently being hosted (until the end of May this year)
at Whipsnade, from Africa Alive.
It seems their enclosure was damaged in the recent storms.

Went to Howletts again a few weeks ago only to find that the last lion had died,(of old age), two weeks before my visit and that there was only one old tiger left.
Allegedly they are going to be transferring some of the lions from Port Lympne. There were doing a lot of work to the enclosures whilst I was there.

Back