Recording live music gig, with soundboard access.

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I've been photographing some live music, and well the idea has come up that some videos of the performance could be useful. Not entire song performances, but snippets. Here's an example of the environment.
https://danielcook.com/2017/04/13/the-britannia-live-music-in-guildford/

I'm a complete newb to videography, so I thought I'd start with research, and the first thing I came across which won't involve too much of an investment for something that doesn't pay - would be he Zoom H4n

Connecting the Zoom H4n to the soundboard will give me the best quality audio of the performance - so what else do I need to record, audience reaction? would I simply face the Zoom H4n toward the audience for this - as I don't see the point in recording the performance with the stereo mic if I have the soundboard feed?

Then there's video, I have two cameras, both full frame with high quality glass.

Leica Q 28mm 1.7 (built in)
Leica SL with 50mm 1.4 SL and 90-280mm 2.8-4.0 SL lenses.

The SL in particular has a lot of video recording options, although I'm not sure if 50mm is the ideal focal length for this.

How should I record the video - should I move around shooting snippets, instead of setting it up on a tripod. If I choose to record video, they will still want someone as a photographer, so there will be that challenge of occupying the same spaces.

I know there will be a learning curve, but I'd like to get as much right as I can when I first attempt.

Any advice would be amazing :) thanks

Last edited:
Here's a setup 'idea'

Leica Q low down, covering stage and performance most of the time.

brit_120417 (11 of 33) by dancook1982, on Flickr

then using the Leica SL with the 50mm to capture snippets, this kind of angle.

brit_120417 (26 of 33) by dancook1982, on Flickr

So then at least we can have two angles, one of which can be a bit more flexible.

And we probably only need take 10-20 seconds for any one artists performances anyway, for now.

For the audio, you could take the stereo out off the desk, and then mix the audience sound off the two cameras (you'll get some audience sound off the stereo mix anyway).
I'm only guessing though, I've never done it myself.

If I can add one tip, keep the cameras recording all the way through songs, even when you're moving the second camera around, because trying to sync hundreds of little snippets is a right pain. If you record the whole track you only have to sync once then cut out the bits you don't want.

Be aware of the maximum recording time of your two cameras though, you don't want them stopping mid song.

I'd agree with Ramalama. Take the audio from the sound desk straight to the H4 and use this as the master audio. I'd keep one camea fixed and us this as the "A" choosing a good angle that gives a good overall visual of the band, such ass you first shot. Then yes move the "B" camera around to collect additional shots to cut in. If the band is doing several gigs I'd go along and watch at least one prior to filming, as this will give you some idea of the set This way you can plan angles prior to the main event.
I've done a couple of multicam shoots ( using 3 static cameras,) and syncing all 3 via the audio wave form can be easy if your software allows it. Then cutting the final video becomes allot easier as you can concentrate on the video.

The choice of lenses really depends on the venue, and what you are allowed to do. You may need to check with the venue as to what is permitted.

Oh yes, that's a good point, some venues can be really funny about how you use the audio, there can be a copyright issue, I.e. all recordings taken at that particular venue belong to them and not the band. I think there was a big discussion on one of the music forums I used to go on a couple of years ago when I was looking to make a live recording of my band. Then again if they're giving you access to the desk then it should be OK, but it's best to check with the owner if there are any limitations to how you use the video.

I'd agree with Ramalama. Take the audio from the sound desk straight to the H4 and use this as the master audio. I'd keep one camea fixed and us this as the "A" choosing a good angle that gives a good overall visual of the band, such ass you first shot. Then yes move the "B" camera around to collect additional shots to cut in. If the band is doing several gigs I'd go along and watch at least one prior to filming, as this will give you some idea of the set This way you can plan angles prior to the main event.
I've done a couple of multicam shoots ( using 3 static cameras,) and syncing all 3 via the audio wave form can be easy if your software allows it. Then cutting the final video becomes allot easier as you can concentrate on the video.

The choice of lenses really depends on the venue, and what you are allowed to do. You may need to check with the venue as to what is permitted.

Thanks,

The video and photos are mainly to promote an event which gives a platform for these artists. I serve the organiser of the live music event, not the artists directly and not the venue. The venue won't have any care about the recording, they just provide the 'pub space' on these quieter nights.

The event occurs at two venues that I've shot at, two nights a week, about five artists are on each night, and it changes every time with some more regular than others.

There will likely always be a photographer on the night, so my main concern would getting video angles is that I don't interfere with them.

the photos above are 28mm and 50mm from each of the cameras, so a good representation of what would be possible.

I know the advice has been to take a mix from the desk but unless you're going to have the ability or time to take a dedicated mix, just for video, then all you'll get is the desk mix for live sound. This will mean that the quietest stage sounds, usually the vocals, will be right up on the mix to compensate for the loudest stage sound, usually the drums - which will be pretty low in the mix.

Unless you have the time during soundcheck or even if the desk has the ability to give you a dedicate mix - which might be stretching it, then you might need to think about multiple sources of audio recording. Take a mix from the desk as well as a recording that will give you more of the live mix, maybe from the position of the sound engineer but I'm not sure what type of mic that you could use that would reduce other unwanted audience noises. You might need to experiment a little.

If you can get a dedicated send from the desk then you should be able to monitor your own mix through headphones to get something close to what you need for the video.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Back