Recovered Gems...

You've not changed at all, still cherubic.:thinking: I love the look on you're bro's face, malevolence I think.

Andy

Here's my g-grandparents outside their grocers shop in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. I actually met my g-gran who lived into her late 90's a really lovely old lady. Unfortunately she was a bit too generous and allowed most of the local poor to have credit which they never paid back and the business went belly-up.

Smarts outside shop circa 1900_edited-1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Cheers
Andy

That's a great photograph! I have some from my granny. I must dig them out ... One day!

HPIM0733-crop.JPG

A member of the Yeti Yeomanary?

Model and photographer unknown: from my grandfather's album.

Here's my g-grandparents outside their grocers shop in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. I actually met my g-gran who lived into her late 90's a really lovely old lady. Unfortunately she was a bit too generous and allowed most of the local poor to have credit which they never paid back and the business went belly-up.

Smarts outside shop circa 1900_edited-1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Cheers
Andy

That,s a lovely story Andy and I guess that God paid her back in years, your GG Ma is the type of person that made this country great.(y)

HPIM0733-crop.JPG

A member of the Yeti Yeomanary?

Model and photographer unknown: from my grandfather's album.

Well this is obviously from the first world war and I cannot identify the cap badge yet, but see this on my first guess as a goat skin jerkin.

The British Army first issued leather jerkins to its troops
during The Great War. Even during the winter of 1914, British soldiers preferred the greater freedom of movement afforded by an armless jerkin. Sheepskin or goatskin jerkins (see ASC private below, front row, middle)- known as stinkers because of the smell they exuded when wet - were also warm. These became an unofficial addition to standard uniform for the first two winters of the Great (y)

sheepskin11.jpg

Last edited:
What an amazing thread, wonderful photos and stories. Haven´t got a scanner myself yet, but after going through this I think it will definitely go on my shopping list. Any suggestions about which scanner are good and reasonably priced?

If your not scanning in very much, then you might be better to use a scanning service, there are numerous places on the internet that do this but I would recommend 'Scanitall'. Their about to scan in loads of slides, negs and prints for me, but I had a trial scan with them and the quality was excellent.

https://www.scanitall.co.uk/ScanItAll/

If you do want to get a scanner though, then most from the Canon or Epson ranges are very good. It depends on how much you want to spend. I'm looking at getting a Canoscan 9000F which has a good specification for scanning slides, negatives, prints etc and can be brought for around £180.

BTW, don't bother with cheap scanners that you might see on the internet or in Maplin etc, their just webcams mounted in a box and give rubbish quality.

Last edited:
Well this is obviously from the first world war and I cannot identify the cap badge yet

It's the Royal Horse Artillery. First hit I found: http://www.militaryheritage.co.uk/product/Royal_Horse_Artillery_lapel_badge_BADGE1H

I tried to speak to my grandfather about his WWI service, but he was reticent. I wish I'd known about the album then, and been able to use it to trigger some recollections. They managed to have some fun: here's a photo of (possibly) a steeplechase:

HPIM0733-crop2.JPG

known as stinkers because of the smell they exuded when wet

His mother made him change out of his kit in the shed, when he got home. What a welcome for a returning hero! We gave him a book of "Old Bill" cartoons. One had Old Bill on leave, sleeping in the greenhouse.

My old flatbed won't work with my current operating system, so I've been using a cheapo point&shoot.

Have you tried using vuescan with it? I had the same problem with my old minolta film scanner.

It's free to download and try.

I've had an epson 3490 perfection for a few years. That does decent scans. Both negs and positives.

Started scanning in an ancient family album. Checked the date on it and realised I haven't done any more since I first started in June 2006!!

Back