Red Arrows Advice

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Opportunity to photograph the Red Arrows for the first time this coming week.

Using Z9, but wanting some advice on lens. 70-200 f2.8 ( could use 1.4x TC) or 150-600 f6.3 @600mm.

My feeling is to use the faster lens & crop if necessary, but looking for advice from those who have shot this type of thing before.

Thanks

J

What sort of image do you want? Sometimes the best ones are fairly wide angle showing the whole scene rather that closeups of the cockpits.

What sort of image do you want? Sometimes the best ones are fairly wide angle showing the whole scene rather that closeups of the cockpits.
Looking for ideally multiple planes rather than close up cockpit shots. Also battle of Britain flypast too

I would start with 70-200 to get more of the environment, planes, trails and ground in. Usually there is time to switch lenses if you’re unhappy with the selection.

If you can get an idea of this year's sequence, you might be able to make strategic lens changes to suit the formations. The close passes look good as fairly tight crops as the planes are crossing but the full 9 (or really, more than 2 or 3!) in formation look better with some space.
Since you're after the multiple plane type of shot, I'd go with Tim's suggestion of starting with the 70-200 and switching if necessary.

Don't forget to watch the display with bare eyes as well as trying to catch the action on "film"!

Only 7 Red Arrows this year. Saw them at RIAT yesterday. Not as good with 7 IMO.
South Korean display team were the stars (with Italians a close second).

I suppose 7 cuts fuel costs a bit!

There was speculation that some were on the pop when training in Greece and were sent home.
Only speculation mind you.

I think you are right to go with 70-200.
Yesterday I used my 100-400 and at times it was a bit too long, especially when they fan out or do the heart. Mind you I was sat right at the front of the crowd line.
Also, the display is so fast moving I doubt you will be comfortable changing lenses mid-display.
My conclusion is that 2 cameras are much better than 1, one with longer lens and one with wider.

Ref. number. The display only used 7 planes but they found a spare to make it 8 for this flypast.

Red Arrows 4 (1 of 1) by Peter Stephens, on Flickr

Here's the 7.

Red Arrows 2 (1 of 1) by Peter Stephens, on Flickr

Apologies if you already know but shutter speed is important. 1/250 or slower for BBMF/props and 1/1000 or faster for The Reds/jets.

I always used to use a Sigma 150-600 on full frame for airshows and never had a problem. The second half of The Red's display includes the synchro pair. A bit of reach is useful for this part of the display.

Don't know if this is too late, but I shot the Red Arrows at Goodwood FoS and only had my 70-200mm f2.8 and even though I used my 1.4x TC with it I still had to crop very heavily with the obvious degradation in image quality. I've shot them before at Chatsworth with the 150-600mm and this was much better imo.

HEAVY crop

A9_03900 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Last edited:
I find a wider lens works for me with the planes and smoke trails. That said I think they may be grounded? due to ejector seat issues, this mornings paper had something about it.

Back