Red Breasted Merangser and others

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm determined to spend more time photographing for fun this year and Nature is likely to be my primary subject. Today was the first time the sun has shone since I started taking bird images a few weeks back and what a difference it makes. I have had a 2x converter for every system I have ran but never used them apart from when subjects were really too far away to even think about getting a good image. I wasn't expecting much but as long as I could get the bird filling a good chunk of the frame it worked pretty well. All these are at 1200mm with the 2x on the 600mm F4. They sharpen up nicely and look pretty good and I think would also print well

Red-Breasted Merganser by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Red-Breasted Merganser by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Moorhen by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Widgeon by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Turnstone by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Bar-Tailed Godwit by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Lovely set, I would eat my toenails for light like that, just beautiful.

1,2 and 6 for me although it's a very close run thing between them all. The light though, just makes those 3, I also love the POV and the detail is superb.

Well done. :clap:

Lovely set, I would eat my toenails for light like that, just beautiful.

1,2 and 6 for me although it's a very close run thing between them all. The light though, just makes those 3, I also love the POV and the detail is superb.

Well done. :clap:
I was due some sunlight. I think that is about the 5th time I have been out shooting birds with the 600mm and the first time there was any light at all. What a difference it makes to the images but it also makes using the 2x worthwhile. I can't believe I never really made any effort to shoot birds in all the years I have been taking photos.

Nice perspective on these.

There is very minimal benefit to using the TC versus just cropping in post. That's pretty much the only thing a TC does anyway.
However, for cropping in post to be as effective you have to use settings/techniques that are appropriate for the resulting EFL... just as if you had added a TC or switched to crop mode. I.e. higher SS, smaller aperture, etc.

I thought the Moorhen image held up rather well; but then noticed it was taken w/o the TC.

1st 2 are lovely images. Worth the 2x and I guess you will be using it/them more often from now.

Nice perspective on these.

There is very minimal benefit to using the TC versus just cropping in post. That's pretty much the only thing a TC does anyway.
However, for cropping in post to be as effective you have to use settings/techniques that are appropriate for the resulting EFL... just as if you had added a TC or switched to crop mode. I.e. higher SS, smaller aperture, etc.

I thought the Moorhen image held up rather well; but then noticed it was taken w/o the TC.
I need to do some head to heads but one of the reasons I have started to photograph wildlife is for my wellbeing. That means the actual watching is as important as the images I come away with. The extender essentially makes the 600mm a scope with the ability to stick in in crop mode for an even closer view. The other point is that I wasn't on a stable platform for most of these so that may improve sharpness further given the very long focal length. The results were better than I expected so that was a bonus

Back