Red Carpet Event what lens

Snapper73

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to shoot a red carpet (shoot people as they arrive) event later tonight and it is nothing serious but going to help out for charity but not sure what lens to go for. Wont have a bag with me and dont know how far i'm away from the people arriving so need 1 and the weapons of choice are.

14-24mm f2.8
24-70 f2.8
70-200mm f2.8

and a outsider 85mm 1.4 ;)

I'm thinking 24-70mm or 70-200mm :thinking:

I'd go 24-70 if I could only take one

the 14-24 woin't be any use in that situation in will just distort

Can you not just stick the 70-200 on the body and the 24-70 in your pocket?
You might find yourself really close and the 70-200 is buggered or you could be slightly further back and the 24-70 doesnt have enough reach

Also guess it depends on if you want full length shots or not.

not a nikon one, but i've got a canon 24-70/2.8 - it's not that big, unless you're an oompa loompa :D

drew

Now you know why Pro's carry two bodies, minimum at events like that...

Can you not just stick the 70-200 on the body and the 24-70 in your pocket?

Then what do you do with the 70-200 :shrug:

Both of these will have to remain hooded, try it at a fast event where timing is everything, you'll buy a second body very quickly afterward's :D

Both of these will have to remain hooded, try it at a fast event where timing is everything, you'll buy a second body very quickly afterward's :D

He's right you know - if this is going to be a regular deal - you'll need a 2nd body...faffing about trying to swap lenses is very uncool in a scrum...

2 bodies only way to go - 24-70 on one 70-200 on the other - that combo does 85% of my jobs like this one. no time for lens changes.
You'll probably need an SB-800 or SB-900 on each as well!

Personally I have 2 bodies so it wouldn't be an issue but the OP hasn't said if he has another body so it would always be best to take both lenses unless you knew for certain where you would be standing. Surely a small bag could be carried holding the second lens just in case, better than being caught short!

Judge when you are there, if you are carpet-side. 24-70. easy.
The 70-200 has min focal distance of what.. 1.7metres. Great as they get onto the rug but if they come close, you miss the shot.

2 bodies would be me solution but not everyone has that luxury.

leave the 85mm ballast at home

I don't have 2 body's and its not the sort of thing I usually do like I said in the opening thread it was just a bit of fun and to help out, any how went along and had a really good night. Went with the 70-200mm to start with and then swapped over to the 24-70mm later on in the night.

I don't have 2 body's and its not the sort of thing I usually do like I said in the opening thread it was just a bit of fun and to help out, any how went along and had a really good night. Went with the 70-200mm to start with and then swapped over to the 24-70mm later on in the night.

Best of both worlds then and a good bit of experience to put in your camera bag I think :)

So, you ended-up taking two lenses. Out of curiosity, since you didn't have a bag with you, where did you keep the 70-200VR when the 24-70 was mounted :naughty:

More important, what effect did that have on the guests :p

So, you ended-up taking two lenses. Out of curiosity, since you didn't have a bag with you, where did you keep the 70-200VR when the 24-70 was mounted :naughty:

More important, what effect did that have on the guests :p

Boot of my car it was only only a stone throw away ;) Out of the 2 lens i liked the results of the 70-200mm @ 2.8 gave a nice shallow depth of field.

Here is a few from last night anyhow (y)

dsc8872.jpg

dsc8933.jpg

dsc8982.jpg

dsc9057.jpg

dsc9085.jpg

Back