Red Carpet Events - BAFTAS? Tips..

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a free day tomorrow and I thought Id pop along to the BAFTAS at the London Palladium and grab some celebrity snaps (Ive always had a tiny bit of a wannabee Paparazzi in me I think ;) ).

I wonder if anyone has any tips for me...I was going to take a couple of lenses with me, probably using a medium length zoom in the main- 17-85 rather than a prime - my longest length prime is my 50mm and I feel this could be too short. No idea what sort of spot I will be able to get so Id rather have the option of a longer lens. Im taking a longer reach zoom as well, just in case.

Is it worth taking an external flash? - the arrivals will be in daylight although its meant to be overcast tomorrow.

Anyone ever had a crack at shooting one of these red carpet events? Im just curious really as to what sort of shots I might be able to get...it could be a waste of time but if I dont go, I'll never know ;) .

I think you will probably need the longest lens you can find as without a 'press' pass I don't think you will get very close at all :(

Thanks for that.

Well I went and it was quite successful and I learnt a lot - it was my first experience with this kind of shoot so expected to make mistakes (and I did ;) ). A few decent shots though.

When I arrived I was directed to an official giving out wristbands, they then let in a certain amount of people into the official Red Carpet area. It was just the right amount of people so it didnt get too rammed and you could take photos quite easily. When the bigger name celebs arrive there is a LOT of jostling and I did end up with loads of blurred pics because of this - I was on AV mode and was using a low aperture - in hindsight because of the jostling Id probably use a high burst mode next time - especially for a daylight shoot. Still - it was a good experience.

A selection of photos on my Flickr here (some are pretty awful but they are of people a few friends who were with me wanted so I kept them in the set).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alliem/sets/72157624097816663/

So do you have a press pass, or are you just an "average joe" and turned up, did you go suited and booted?

I would like to get amongst the celebs and give this ago, just for the experience and atmosphere...

There are a few in there where a slightly higher shutterspeed would have been better, but there are a good selection in there, good job!

Jonathan

So do you have a press pass, or are you just an "average joe" and turned up, did you go suited and booted?

I would like to get amongst the celebs and give this ago, just for the experience and atmosphere...

There are a few in there where a slightly higher shutterspeed would have been better, but there are a good selection in there, good job!

Jonathan

Thanks for the comments.

No Im just an average joe. Anyone can get a wristband but there arent many - I think about 200. Its was a 5.30 start and I got there about 1pm so lots of standing around - but I knew that and went prepared. One of the officials came over to talk to me about my camera and I cheekily asked for a press pass and he said "Maybe" but I never saw him once the celebs arrived - but it wasnt a bad spot I had. You are right about the shutter speed - its probably the main lesson I learnt from this experience. Will hopefully do better next time.

If you were in Av mode, all you probably needed to do was up the ISO a bit more, as it has been said many times before, it is better to have a grainy photo, rather than a blurred one!

...or use flash ;-)

Jonathan

Pleased to say I don`t recognise most of them but you did well under the circumstances.

Back