Wild Red deer male yearling

Name
Laurence
Edit My Images
No
45160082231_e704034cf0_b.jpg

Bushy Park, they can be quite dangerous during the rut, full of hormones but absolutely no idea what they are doing, they will cast lustful eyes at anything that moves.
Should have shot this in portrait, something I have to learn. Might actually have got all the horns in the frame.

Sony A7Riii, Sony 100-400GM with 1.4x teleconverter.
1/500th F8 @470mm ISO400

Last edited:
Nice Laurence, I know a big stag unfortunately had to dealt with yesterday as it suffered extensive damage to its midriff, The harsh reality of the rut.!

Nice Laurence, I know a big stag unfortunately had to dealt with yesterday as it suffered extensive damage to its midriff, The harsh reality of the rut.!

Thanks Jason. My wife asked me yesterday if stags ever died during the rut and I had to admit I didn't know.

Each year there seems to be two or three are put down during the rut in Richmond and Bushy parks. They do reduce the numbers in the next stag cull accordingly

Nice touch with the food in its mouth. :)

Really nice, close capture thatt, but yes - full antlers might have been nice! I think I'll have to venture into the park again this weekend. I live right next to Bushey Park, so there really is no excuse!

Really nice, close capture thatt, but yes - full antlers might have been nice! I think I'll have to venture into the park again this weekend. I live right next to Bushey Park, so there really is no excuse!
Thanks for the comments. We lived in Hampton Hill and Hampton for 40 years so it was easy just to pop over and do some photography but now we live slightly further out in Surrey. It's only a half hour drive and the concentration there of wildlife means I'm constantly going back. It's worth making the effort, we may even bump into each other!

Back