Red Deer Rut - Bushy Park

Edit My Images
No
Dropped into Bushy Park (a small deer park near Kingston-Upon-Thames) yesterday for a bit. Hoped to catch some rutting action which unfortunately didn't happen. There were a lot of very impressive stags wandering the place bellowing and generally showing off though :LOL:

I wouldn't normally upload 2 so similar but I'm undecided on which I prefer so any thoughts would be appreciated. I have another 2 that are also similar that may make also make an appearance at some point :LOL:

ROAR by William Harvey2011, on Flickr

Roar 2 by William Harvey2011, on Flickr

The light picked up for this one. This stag definitely appeared to be the dominant male.

Master of the herd by William Harvey2011, on Flickr

And one to show the calmer, more majestic side of them

Stare by William Harvey2011, on Flickr

All C&C appreciated. Thanks for looking ;)

No 4 is lovely, beautiful colours and the stance is perfect for the shot!

No 4 is a great shot and of the first 2 no 1 does it for me!

Will nice set:)

First for me but I personaly don't like such a tight crop. Just my taste though but the pose is more dramatic than the second.

Thanks

As far as crops go, they're all pretty much SOOC.... The idea of being that close with the first two was to really give a feeling of being directly confronted by the animal when you look at the shot to really emphasise the aggression that it's showing - you're met by this huge, angry beast and you've got nowhere else to look but right into it's crazy eyes and wide open mouth. (That probably sounds a bit pretentious - sorry :LOL: )

With hindsight, I probably should have taken some of it with a bit more space so I had that option too. I do have some bellowing at a wider view but they're all either side on, like the large male in the group of females, or the stag's resting on the ground so neither have the same aggressive impact which is what I really wanted to capture :)

Bump as I returned today for some more

Red Deer Stag in the Sunset by William Harvey2011, on Flickr

Wading Stag by William Harvey2011, on Flickr

The behaviour of some people around these animals is unbelievable. I saw two separate instances of deer attacking people in the time I was there. All the time I was photographing there were numerous other people getting so close to the deer - it really does beggar belief :LOL:

The behaviour of some people around these animals is unbelievable. I saw two separate instances of deer attacking people in the time I was there. All the time I was photographing there were numerous other people getting so close to the deer - it really does beggar belief :LOL:

Stunning detail in those shots! What lens and camera were you using?

I was in Richmond Park yesterday and I saw a guy playing Frisbee with his dog within 10m of 4 stags all bellowing out to each other!!:wacky::bang:

All great shots....

I particularly like the last one...

I live just outside the park so have wandered over there myself a few times...I managed to get a few of the stags fighting :)

There is a meet being organised for Sunday to Richmond Park if anybody is up for it...

Love the two new ones. In the first of them, great "atmospherics" (not sure how else to describe it - it seems rather "painterly", and that isn't a criticism, it's what I like about it). And in the second super subject IQ and separation - quite a strong 3D sense for me of the subject (cropped fractionally tight on the right perhaps).

Thanks for the comments.

The 1st of the two new ones was the kind of shot I planned the visit to get. It's not quite what I had in mind, the stag never quite got into the position I wanted and the light didn't quite fall how I'd hoped but I guess that's always the way. I'm glad the atmosphere comes across though.

The crop on the 2nd was to try and hide as much of the litter on that RHS as possible. I probably shouldn't have been quite so lazy and cloned it out instead :LOL:

Back