Red Kite (holiday snap)

Edit My Images
Yes
Just back from a week in Galloway and Dumfries, weather was great and my better half was more than happy to get out in the fresh air, just a quick one from the week of a Red Kite, great to start seeing more of them about.

Only allowed to take the 300mm so no big lenses or tripods, never mind would not have wanted to carry it on some of the walks in that heat anyway.

Will sort out some more later in the week, now better go and unpack :)

Drummore-09_462a.jpg

Like it, nice shot and great compesition/pose.

Nice, looks quite pale underneath. Anywho glad to see you had some good weather.

Nice, looks quite pale underneath. Anywho glad to see you had some good weather.

We also visited a place that feeds them, similar to Gigrin but on a smaller scale, and when you can see 30 - 40 flying about you do see a fair difference in colour between different birds, there was one that was really pale.

Top shot Martyn, well worth the price of taking her on holiday :D

I should really go and make an effort to get a decent Red Kite shot before I move away from Dumfriesshire. I've only ever got them from a distance before.

Very nice composition and detail Martyn.

Top shot Martyn, well worth the price of taking her on holiday :D

Spent a fair time at the Mull of Galloway RSPB reserve, spotted a pair of Peregrine Falcons on the cliff face, which was a first for me, so definitely worth the money :)

I should really go and make an effort to get a decent Red Kite shot before I move away from Dumfriesshire. I've only ever got them from a distance before.

Very nice composition and detail Martyn.

This was taken just south of New Galloway, we were at one of the forestry commission view points that looked over towards Loch Ken.

Worth a visit to Bellymack Hill Farm just outside Laurieston to see them feeding the birds, 2.00 every day, £2.50 per person. It was worth the money just to see that many raptors in the sky all at the same time.

This was taken just south of New Galloway, we were at one of the forestry commission view points that looked over towards Loch Ken.

Worth a visit to Bellymack Hill Farm just outside Laurieston to see them feeding the birds, 2.00 every day, £2.50 per person. It was worth the money just to see that many raptors in the sky all at the same time.

Yes, I've driven past the farm where the feeding takes place and made a note to visit there. Just haven't actually gotten around to it yet and time is running out now. Your photo has inspired me to make sure I go before I move though.

Excellent "snap".............some great feather detail and nice composition:clap::clap:

Nice shot (y) ..... just been watching about these being re-introduce in the Chilterns on Countryfile. I think there is a program to do the same in Essex. Would love to have the chance to get a pic of one in the wild.

Excellent "snap".............some great feather detail and nice composition:clap::clap:

Cheers, I was pleased with the level of detail in the full size image ... for a "holiday snap" :D

Nice shot (y) ..... just been watching about these being re-introduce in the Chilterns on Countryfile. I think there is a program to do the same in Essex. Would love to have the chance to get a pic of one in the wild.

My wife recorded that, so looking forward to watching it (y)

lovely shot, nice comp

drew

The composition is pure luck, in so much waiting and hoping the bird turns the way you want it to for the best light, and best pose ... it does not always work out as well :D

nice one martin (y)

Thanks for the comment.

Nice shot.

I notice you're in Wolverhampton - I spotted a red kite on a walk over farmland alongside the A449 between Wombourne and Wolves today. Flew off in the direction of Penn Cottage. Very rare to see one around here. Typically, didn't have my camera with me!

Nice shot.

I notice you're in Wolverhampton - I spotted a red kite on a walk over farmland alongside the A449 between Wombourne and Wolves today. Flew off in the direction of Penn Cottage. Very rare to see one around here. Typically, didn't have my camera with me!

We have started seeing them over Belvide, the theory is that they are from the birds originally released in Wales moving over this way, they will have to move out to find food as the numbers increase, be nice to see them as resident birds in this area.

Back