Red Kite

Name
Simon (Prefer 'Si')
Edit My Images
No
A while ago, I decided to concentrate my efforts on getting decent images of the red kites at Nant-yr-arian when they've been snatching up the food they've dropped into the lake. I've had a fair few that I've been happy with but I finally got one of the ones I've been trying to nail! :D

This one is currently my desktop wallpaper and will be off to get turned into a nice, big canvas soon! :)

5DMKIII,
EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM MKI,
EF2x MKIII

A stunning image, well done that man.

I think you can concentrate on something else now, Si.

Excellent shot.

Dave

Thanks for the comments everyone... (y)

Nant-yr-arian is one of those places that's really enjoyable to visit regularly (not to mention the fact that it's only 15 minutes from my house). I daresay I haven't shot my last kite up there! ;)

Cracking shot that one, will make a great canvass (y)

What is Nant-yr-arian like compared to gigrin, do you know? I need to redo these myself, lost a load of pics due to a hdd die on me.

Thanks Michael. :)

I haven't visited Gigrin although it's on my list. To be honest, having Nant-yr-arian so close to home means I haven't really had much inclination to drive down there! :D

Thanks Michael. :)

I haven't visited Gigrin although it's on my list. To be honest, having Nant-yr-arian so close to home means I haven't really had much inclination to drive down there! :D

Thanks, you don't have a google maps link to it do you? I tried and failed somehow. I will give it a look and see what travelling time is like.

Thanks, you don't have a google maps link to it do you? I tried and failed somehow. I will give it a look and see what travelling time is like.

Here's the link to Nant-yr-arian --> https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Na...sspn=0.015265,0.042272&oq=nant+yr+ar&t=h&z=17

The kites are fed a bucket of scrap meat every day at 14:00 in the winter and 15:00 in the summer (the birds can tell the difference)! :)

I don't have the link to Gigrin but that info should be easy enough to find.

fantastic shot! i haven't seen any go near the small lakes in my area :clap:

How long did you have to wait Si? Is this full frame or cropped ? If cropped, by how much ? Its a great capture and I'd be proud as punch if it were my own capture.

Superb shot - what a difference some half-decent light makes. Can you send some up here please?:LOL:

Thanks again everyone! :)

How long did you have to wait Si? Is this full frame or cropped ? If cropped, by how much ? Its a great capture and I'd be proud as punch if it were my own capture.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment! (y)

I've been waiting for about 3 years to get that shot! :D

It's been cropped from full frame by more than half. There's no way to predict exactly where they're going to swoop down from. It's relatively easy to watch where the meat hits the water when they drop it but it's difficult to keep an eye on the viewfinder and the sky at the same time. I think I'd have struggled if that shot had filled the frame 'cos I'd have probably missed it!

That is a superb capture indeed. In fact, the best shot I've seen in long time. The canvas will be stunning!

Back