Red Kites of Scotland

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Theese were taken just over a week ago at Bellymack Hill Farm near Laurieston, Dumfries and Galloway Scotland. Its a great little spot for seeing them with feeding at 2pm every day, well worth a visit if you want to see the kites.

Dean.

kite1.jpg

kite10.jpg

kite2.jpg

kite3.jpg

kite4.jpg

kite5.jpg

Thanks for looking !!!

Nice set of images. I was there earlier in the year and am planning to go back down soon. What lens/ camera did you use for these? Were you in the hide or just at the picnic area for these shots?

Very nice set Dean, Do like the perspective in 3 & 4.

Nice set of images. I was there earlier in the year and am planning to go back down soon. What lens/ camera did you use for these? Were you in the hide or just at the picnic area for these shots?

Theese were taken near the picknick area resting on a gate with one of my bean bags, taken using a Nikon d300 with 300mm afs f4 with kenko pro 1.4x converter. I must say they are far clearer at full resolution.
It was a very good spot with a warm friendly welcome. I have got some more with a wider perspective that my 11yr old son took using a 80-200 f2.8 which show the numbers you get at feeding time.

Dean

The last time I was there, we were in the hide, but it is quite a distance away from the feeding tables. Even at 500mm, I had to crop on my D300. The picnic area would have been far better.

It does get busy with red kites at feeding time. We were talking to the farmers wife before we left and she said that the day we were there they had over 50 red kites for feeding.

The last time I was there, we were in the hide, but it is quite a distance away from the feeding tables. Even at 500mm, I had to crop on my D300. The picnic area would have been far better.

It does get busy with red kites at feeding time. We were talking to the farmers wife before we left and she said that the day we were there they had over 50 red kites for feeding.

There were well over 60 kites when we were there, there were about 10 there around 1pm but they just kept coming approaching 2pm quite amazing that they automatically turn up at feeding time.

Heres one of my 11 yr old sons shots showing a wider view.

kite11.jpg

Cheers Dean

they are great Dean, looks like it was well worth a visit (y)

That looks an interesting place Dean :) If I were to be picky I'd say the first few shots are a little dark, inevitable to a degree I know against the sky, but the detail and colour are lost.

Would they take a touch of brightening in PS ?

You've got some cracking pictures. Nice one Dean. We went in February to Bellymack and the weather was awful and I had no decent light for my shots! It definitely is worth a visit. Great place.

Back