Red MX-5

Edit My Images
Yes
I was inspired by David's shots of his red MX-5 and decided to PP some shots I did of a friends car in the same colour we did a couple of months ago. He wanted some shots with the graffiti wall backdrop, which personally I think has been done to death but it can be quite effective still.

He's 3 of my favourites. C&C greatly appreciated :)

N1 by TommyCole, on Flickr

Graffiti by TommyCole, on Flickr

J2 by TommyCole, on Flickr

I think I prefer no.2; the tilted angle adds a bit more drama and a sense of movement to the shot. The other two are a little ordinary and, as you say, done to death. I also find them quite busy and therefore difficult to look at for too long.

Spooks

the sun for me is the big problem here, i only tend to shoot cars and I avoid direct sunlight if I can. Makes for really harsh shadows and reflections.

#2 is my favourite as well but on a cloudy day with a wee bit of work these could be much better :)

Thats an interesting comment actually, as I have tended to avoid flat cloudy days in the past when shooting cars. How do you manage to get the reflections and shine on the car on overcast days, I find it tricky without decent light. Do you use flash or lights?

I have tried in the past but tend to find it leaves certain colour cars lookiing a bit flat. I'll use David's thread as an example (i hope he doesn't mind me using them to demonstrate the car colour in low light) which whilst they are lovely shots, you can see how in less sunny conditions the car colour doesn't reflect very well.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=442843

To be honest i'd be happy to find a way of shooting in cloudy conditions as the number of sunny days limits availability somewhat!

Last edited:
haha funny how people's perspectives are different :) I hate doing a car shoot in the sunlight, infact I will find somewhere shaded if I can, avoid the direct sunlight in the shoot.

have a look at my shoots on my facebook page...

www.facebook.com/sdukphotography

loads of pics, nearly all in the shade or on cloudy days if I can help it :)

do you shoot in RAW?

Nice shots! I'd really like no3 if it wasn't for the big sun reflection to the left spoiling it a bit!
When it comes to lighting i think i tend to prefer somewhere in between sunny and overcast. Bit of light helps but if the sun is properly blazing down it can make things awkward on occasion!

Nice car :)

The shots are not bad at all either :)

Crop No1 as you did with No2 and I think that will help, its too tight as it is - and the angle in 2 isn't great imo

I do like 3 though. Did you get a full side on shot like this?

The colour is good though

Cheers everybody, some good crit there.

SDUK - I don't shoot in raw, but i'd like to, I just can't seem to figure out how to do it on this camera (EOS 1D mk1). I used to on my D30.

PGD - Thanks, I might try re-cropping number 1. I might have number 3 as a full side actually.

Back