Red RS4 B5...

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello folks, my pal over on one of my other forums (Digitalize) has sent me this way.

I love photography as I know all of you guys will as well, so with a bit of luck and some abuse from you lot (with some help and advice sprinked on top!) I might just manage to take it up as a profession. To be honest, I'd be happy doing it outwith my normal job as long as I can keep on getting better.

This is my first post looking for feedback, so please (genuinly) go easy as I am probably going to be in for a shock.

Thanks in advance

Marty

Welcome mate.

I so want that car, so clean and tastefully done.
Nice range of images, not so sure some of the backgrounds are good enough for the car, but nice clear photographs.
Reflections are always going to be a pain with such a polished motor, but watch out for detail in edit, I think i can see some people and cloning errors.
That last one is just crying out for a background change.

Edit: in fact I tried one, let me know if you want to see it.

Last edited:
Hi mate, thanks for taking the time to comment.

There wasn't actually anyone around but perhaps things off camera have been caught!

The curse of a well looked after car!!

I would love to see it, thank you.

I just spotted your name and saw some of your snaps on flickr, even the Mrs was asking "ooo who's that". Very nice work.

Sorry forgot to mention the locations.

That's something I'm going to need to focus on going forward. I need nicer locations. I made the mistake of going to Falkirk (where Kenny the owner lived) on a friday night before the shoot (almost got arrested taking shots at grangemouth oil refinery) so I didn't give myself much hope.

It's a tough one though. There is a certain appeal about having such crummy back grounds but perhaps to balance it out, I could match it with something a bit classier.

Cheers again.

Wow things have stepped up a notch.. Apparently I need to work on my PS skills.

Any more??

This is more than I've seen before.

One big thing for me, is keeping things straight, if you want an angle that's fine, but 3 4 and 5 all need something done to them, big problem with shooting with a BG with lines. 4 and 5 aren't both needed either, wanna squeeze the best out of your set, nothing that isn't needed. 4 and 5 are essentially the same.

Good shout as ever sir.

Someone once said to me, if it's a real struggle picking from a handful of similar shots, just pick one of them, if there is no clear winner it's the best thing to do.

They are essentially the same shot.

ta

#6, #9 & #11 are the ones for me! Very good!

Are they all HDR or over claritied or something? Very striking

Very nice car, always loved these, can pick them up for a good price now. Number 3 would be better if it was level I think but loving all the other shots. Nice wheels as well

That is one sexy looking car. Much better than those airy fairy little things. I could actually get in and out of your one lol.

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys.

A very lovely manly car for sure!

I've boosted the clarity on the car on a lot of them yes.

I love the look but it is easy to overkill. Something I need to remember!!

Last edited:
No. 6 for me. The colours of the doors juxtapose the car very nicely. It is a very tidy looking car. I have a black RS4 B7 if you want to practise further.

I had some pictures of my TVR taken years ago by a car photo pro for a calendar. One thing he did was to remove the tax disc to "tidy things up".

Sorry to comment again, just been drawn back to this thread! I think its the sharpness that keeps bringing me back! How (if you don't mind me asking of course!) did you manage to get it that sharp?

I too really like these, and would like to get some similar sharpness when shooting my M3, my shots have absolutely nothing on yours!

Were any filters used? Any other stuff I should know about other than the body and lens?

I drive a little mountuned Fiesta! A member over on ZSOC to be sure.

Thanks for all the comments, blown away.

I use a hoya polarising filter for the large majority of outdoor shots. I generally shoot in manual mode and just play with the settings until they come out exactly how I want.. I don't have any other way of explaining than when I see the picture I want I just know its the right one, so I'll take a handful at slightly different settings. I sometimes flick to av/tv mode to make sure I don't miss anything.

I will use my tripod for almost any shot where a low iso isn't quite bright enough.

Wether or not any of this effects the sharpness I don't know. I play with the tone curve and boost the clarity using a brush over the main car typically with the mask on. If I want a more moody look, I will be harsher with the clarity and play with the shadows/highlights a lot more.

Sorry if I'm not using familiar terms, I am self taught with everything I do, I don't try and copy any styles or edit in a set way. I just go with the flow. Some stinking photos and some I really like.

I'll see if I can find a before and after and put them up!

Also my kit is far from expensive. I bought my 550d a couple of years ago, the kit lens that came with it 17-55 kit lens and a nifty fifty 50mm 1.8. Filters and a few other bits and pieces to keep it all clean.

Had my previous car not destroyed my bank account and I decided not to buy a house I would have a far, far superior camera, decent lighting set up and a few lenses.. But I like the idea of learning how to walk before I run.

11m5e2c.jpg

2z7fknk.jpg

Last edited:
flickrs dead for me just now. Tried to upload on that free site but it doesn't like me either.

No. 6 for me. The colours of the doors juxtapose the car very nicely. It is a very tidy looking car. I have a black RS4 B7 if you want to practise further.

I had some pictures of my TVR taken years ago by a car photo pro for a calendar. One thing he did was to remove the tax disc to "tidy things up".

I can only suggest when we are shooting, but I ask them to bring along a couple of microfibres and on location to align the seats, take of any stickers off to.

The devil is in the detail!

Back