Red Squirrel Week 28th Sept TP Gallery- Please add your own photos

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Today is the start of Red Squirrel Week (28th Sept-4th Oct), more info can be found here. To celebrate it I thought it would be great to start a Talk Photography Members Red Squirrel Gallery.

Please add your own images in the thread below, any Red Squirrel images are welcome. Please no critique (unless its asked for) as its about the Red Squirrels rather than the technique of the images posted.

QUESTION

Do you know why Squirrels swim on their backs ????

ANSWER

To keep their nuts dry. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

p1187838702-4.jpg

Great thread with some excellent photos (y)
It was only at the beginning of this month I saw my first Red Squirrel, up in Cumbria :banana:

Luckily I managed a couple of shots, think I might have one or two more to add but this was about my best :)

Red Squirrel.... by Phil Dyson, on Flickr

Lovely to see them all, the reds are IMO one of the iconic British animals.

Other than the briefest of glimpses of one on our Scottish trip in May I have only seen the BWC ones.

I think gramps' set of mother & baby are outstanding service images :)

Edit - one of mine is on my 500px linked in my signature, always makes me smile.

Last edited:
@gramps I showed your post to swmbo and she was in awe of such a lovely sight. Can you say where you had the privilege of seeing this activity?

What struck me was the 'hold' she was using, most mammals seem to carry/transfer young by grasping the nape of the neck but the squirrel is holding the baby across the soft belly area....... do not recall seeing that hold point before???

@gramps I showed your post to swmbo and she was in awe of such a lovely sight. Can you say where you had the privilege of seeing this activity?

What struck me was the 'hold' she was using, most mammals seem to carry/transfer young by grasping the nape of the neck but the squirrel is holding the baby across the soft belly area....... do not recall seeing that hold point before???

This was at Escot Park near Exeter, Devon where a small group of TP'ers visited for the day.
I caught the female moving the kitten from one nest to another, according to a warden this is natural activity in the wild so as to avoid predators.
I have no idea about how squirrels normally move their young as I have never had the privilege of seeing this before.

Opps .. a bit late to the party on this one. The Red Squirrel is actually one of the Species on my #BritainsBig5 project (Otter, Water Vole, Roe Deer, Kingfisher and Red Squirrel) ...

I should probably put more details on the project in an upcoming podcast ... It's basically 5 species, which to me are iconic for Britain and to document them over what was originally 5 years ... I now know that it's going to be a heck of a lot longer. I probably should have picked dog, cat, wood pigeon, big dog, small cat :)

cheers,

Nige

oops, just noticed we're on the 7th already!

Back