RedBull Kicksled Supercross (CRAZY)

Name
Fuglstad
Edit My Images
No
So today I went to another crazy RedBull event, it was a lot of fun.
A very famous dirtbiker was there as well, Ailo Gaup.
A lot of custom sleds and insane jumps. :D

For those of you who don't know what a Kicksled is, look here.

Full set on flickr here.

RedBull Sparkstøtting 2013 by TordFuglstad, on Flickr

Hi TordFuglstad,

The processing is great, really like the affect. However although 1 & 2 start to set the scene nicely, 4, 5 & 6 don't do much for me. 6 is not bad but I would crop closer to the action. Any action shots?

Hi Fuglstad,

Thank you for introducing me to a new event, as I had never heard of Kicksled before. :) Of your set I like #1 for showing the course the competitors will be coming down, #3 as the sled riders are nicely captured and you can get a feel for what is going on, #5 is quite good but I just wish the sled and riders stood out better as they are lost against the tree. I also like #6 as it has good timing and there is nice action.

There are several things which you could try next time you go to one of these events, which will improve on this decent start;

1) Consider your shooting position carefully. Look at the backgrounds you will be getting in your images, will the sled riders stand out against whatever is beyond them? For example: If there is a bit of a tree line could taking a lower vantage point or perhaps move left or right help capture the riders as they take off a jump against the sky instead of trees?

2) Try varying your shutter speed. Using slower speeds and panning with the subject is a good technique for conveying motion and speed, it can also help the subject stand out from it's background better as the background becomes blurred. This does take practice and you will get more misses than hits.

3) Try using a longer lens with a wide open aperture (eg.f/4 or f/5.6). The telephoto effect not only gives a larger subject in the frame, helping to fill the frame, but the wide open aperture gives a shallower depth of field which helps separate the subject from it's background (more so than standard or wide lenses, although this is all dependent on how close you are to the subject).

I hope these suggestions help, and I am sure you learnt a ton of stuff from this event that you can apply next time you go to photograph another Kicksled race.

Good luck and make sure to post your images here! :)

Julian.

Last edited:
PS. Actually just had a look at your Flickr set for this event and have to say you have some better images on there from this event than the one's you've posted here, including a nicely panned image and a few crash images. Also liked the image of the competitors standing on a snow mound, pictured from below with the blue sky behind them.

Some of those shots better convey the action, excitement and occasion than the one's above, hope this helps. :)

Back