Critique Redcar Groynes.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Managed to haul myself early from my bed on Saturday for a Sunrise at Redcar beach.
Taken approx 25 mins before sunrise. 5Dmk3 - 16-35 f4 @20mm - 4sec@f10
Bit disappointed that there wasn't any nice fluffy clouds to give the sky a bit more colour.
I don't have any filters other than a circular polariser which i used, but did a fair bit of PP (messing about) in lightroom, am happy with it though.

Redcar Groynes. by Mike Mayo, on Flickr

Possibly lose a bit (one third to half?) of the sky to move the horizon off the mid line.

Or go the other way & crop out the foreground to just leave the groyne leading out into the steely sky for a minimalist look.

Possibly lose a bit (one third to half?) of the sky to move the horizon off the mid line.

Agree with this.
A lovely shot just let down by the position of that horizon. Crop that and you've got a fine photo.

Or go the other way & crop out the foreground to just leave the groyne leading out into the steely sky for a minimalist look.

Agree with this.
A lovely shot just let down by the position of that horizon. Crop that and you've got a fine photo.

must try that myself as its just down the road.

Thanks for the replies, I know where you are coming from. I must admit I was annoyed with myself with the horizon, I focused too much on the other elements in the picture. looks like another early start when the tide, weather and time are right.

Thanks for the replies, I know where you are coming from. I must admit I was annoyed with myself with the horizon, I focused too much on the other elements in the picture. looks like another early start when the tide, weather and time are right.

It's possibly a little unconventional, but I much prefer big skies and a small strip of land at t'bottom than the other way round, however it's not a recipe that gets many likes on a photo forum.

It's possibly a little unconventional, but I much prefer big skies and a small strip of land at t'bottom than the other way round, however it's not a recipe that gets many likes on a photo forum.

I was reading something recently, can't remember where, but it said something like "don't take pictures in a way to please other people, do it please yourself"
If people like what you done great, if they don't, they don't.

Plenty of famous artists out there who painted big skies, Constable & Turner to name a few.

I was painting a portrait recently from a photo, my 4 yr old granddaughter came up to it and studied the photo and then the painting and said "you know Grandad that's actually good"
That will do me, doesn't get any better than that.

Back