Redsnapper pan-head, mounting issue ?

Edit My Images
No
Just received a Redsnapper Tripod & Pan-head, certainly a substantial piece of kit especially considering the price...

unfortunately I seem to have a slight problem with mine as when I mounted the pan-head onto the legs there was a grinding noise, the base of the pan-head is catching the rivets which hold the leg mount inplace, wondered if there should be a rubber washer underneath the pan-head or perhaps I've recieved a dodgy set of legs with the rivets set too high ?

I'm waiting a reply from Joe but just wondered if anyone else had seen this issue ?

thanks

Simon

Don't know about rivets at all ??

Here are a few shots of mine, is yours the same ?

Top of Legs

legs.jpg

Base of Head

head2.jpg

Together in Portrait mode

tripod.jpg

Hmm, bit odd mine's completely different, a redesign perhaps, although yours seems the better idea..here are the pics..

You can see on the 1st shot how it's been scored (silver edges)..it's catching on the 3 rivets in the 2nd shot

Panhead
Pan-head-mount.jpg
[/IMG]

Tripod legs
Tripod-legs-mount.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi. Dunno about the Redsnapper, but some Manfrotto legs have grubscrews in the 'legmount' that you tighten up when the head is in place to secure it. If these protrude slightly as you screw the head on, it can make this 'grating' sound as you put it. This is rectified by unsrewing the grubscrews slightly. Could the Redsnapper have the same perhaps?

I have a photographic memory that was never developed

Problem solved, had a blonde moment ...didn't realise that the allen screws on the legs adjusted to lock the pan-head in position :wacky:

Very impressed with the tripod, substantial piece of kit..it's slightly bigger than I expected though (which is a good thing) so don't think I'll be carrying it around the mountains with me, the Velbon Luxi F will still be in the rucksac

simon

Problem solved, had a blonde moment ...didn't realise that the allen screws on the legs adjusted to lock the pan-head in position :wacky:

Very impressed with the tripod, substantial piece of kit..it's slightly bigger than I expected though (which is a good thing) so don't think I'll be carrying it around the mountains with me, the Velbon Luxi F will still be in the rucksac

simon

Glad you got it sorted!

I have a photographic memory that was never developed (y)

Sorry but I'm having exactly the same problem, and this being my first tripod I didn't understand how you resolved the problem.

Could you give some further information or a few photos on how you resolved it if possible..

Sorry but I'm having exactly the same problem, and this being my first tripod I didn't understand how you resolved the problem.

Could you give some further information or a few photos on how you resolved it if possible..

In the second of my photos (Tripod legs) you can see 3 allen screws, these can be screwed/unscrewed from underneath the mounting and are used to lock the pan-head in place once attached...I guess like mine the allen screws have been screwed in too far so stand proud of the mount & therefore catch the pan-head when you try to attach it ?

If so the tripod legs mount actually unscrews (as in Mrgrubbys photo) from the centre colum (might be a bit tight) once you've done this you can get to the back of the allen screws with an allen key to unscrew them a little...once you've done this attach the pan-head tightly and then screw the allen screws back in to lock the pan-head in position

hope this makes sense !!

simon

It goes together like my first two photos not like Simonkits first two shots, you can then tighten the allen grub screws like simonkit suggested

//edit //

Simon beat me to it :D

Will have to get some allen keys first...unless I can find some in the toolbox, but thank you for such a swift response.

Thank you so much Simon and Mr Grubby, thought I had a couple of allen keys left over from when I had the bathrooms done. One fitted perfectly and all is sorted.

What a great bit of kit, I'm nearly 6' 5" and I don't need to bend down to use this tripod, when I can finally locate a 60mm AF D Nikon lens for my macro work I will be sorted(y)

Back