Review Redsnapper tripod, RS 283.

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
The question on which tripod to buy appears regularly on here and people offer all sorts of opinions. To me, the best value for money tripods available are the Redsnapper ones and here is the reason why.

This is a review of the Redsnapper I bought over a year ago, nearer two in fairness ,it has been used in all weathers,all situations and has had some serious abuse. I bought the RS-283 after a conversation with Joe about weight handling ability ,this tripod was rated at 10 kgs. I was going to use it with a gripped D300 ,a Sigma 300-800 and a Manfrotto 393 head,that is a combined weight of 8.6 kgs on its own. My applying pressure on the lens for stability more than likely takes it up to 10 Kgs. This is not an instant review, but one that I have put together over some time, as such, I think it carries a lot of weight. Pardon the pun!

The weight issue between carbon and aluminium does not concern me too much, I accept that for some it is a factor, for me it isn`t. I prefer the cost saving instead. When I first got the tripod I left the long centre column on, though after a short while I swapped it for the supplied shorter one. If I needed to use the long centre column after having adjusted the legs to full height, then the weight made for a slight bit of wobble, but the majority of tripods are the same, so that is no great sin. I have a Manfrotto 475B for such occasions, but by hell is it a big heavy beast compared to the Redsnapper. I prefered the ability to get down very low with the shorter column. It hasn`t been changed since. The legs have plenty of adjustment for all types of terrain, wether I have been knelt in a ditch with the camera peeking over the top, been in the rushes by the river or been high on the fells taking peregrine shots whilst hiding amongst the crags, I have always been able to set the legs to get a good solid foundation. I was never a lover of twist locks, but have got used to them now .My other tripods are lever locks, I have no real preference now, adjusting to either is simple enough. I like the simple adjustment between the rubber feet or the spikes, I always use the spikes on riverbanks and it is a simple matter of screwing the rubber feet up or down to hide or project the spikes, I like this feature a lot. The legs are quick and easy to adjust either for length or angle, that speed can be vital at times. The stability with the legs only at full stretch has always been fine.

I have used this tripod to its max, more or less since I got it, though I have done a small amount of lightweight stuff with it, it has never let me down, never slipped or brought my gear down to earth with a bang. It even survived an encounter with a full slurry tanker that destroyed my 393 head, don`t ask. It has been in mud, rivers, streams, sand and squashed down a cattle grid. I have used it as a monopod at times, a walking stick at others and even a wading stick.

The best thing about it? It was £50 and came with a carry bag, I do wish all tripods did. It has had some serious abuse ,serious weight on it and serious use and it still lives to tell the tale. The twist locks are a bit worn now, that is acceptable to me after the pain it has had, and I can probably sort it when I take it apart. All in all, I firmly believe that it is the best value for money tripod available on the market today. Bear in mind that the majority, wildlife photographers excluded of course, would never put anywhere near this weight on a tripod or subject it to the abuse that I have heaped on it. So yes, look at all the other more expensive tripods, but don`t forget about this gem from Joe.

Big thumbs up from me...........(y)

I agree. I've got one too - its an excellent piece of kit. Solid and reliable.

Excellent review Ade. Thank you! Added to the directory.

Ooh, I'm really tempted!

I really need a decent tripod to replace the fifteen quid one I use at the moment, don't really even like being seen with it in public. :D

I can`t add anything to the review,make your own mind up mate....:)

Spot on review, I have the same as well as the monopod, excellent kit at an excellent price.

Nice and honest, well thought out review.

Being a Redsnapper 283 owner too, it gives me more confidence to push mine a bit harder out in the field

Redsnapper tripods (y) (y)

I generally use a Manfrotto 393 for the long lenses.That is a gimbal type head,specifically for long lenses.

For smaller stuff, I use a Redsnapper ballhead.I prefer them to 3 ways,personal preference really.

Good review - thanks. (y)
Just took delivery of my 283C and ball head today - first impressions are that it certainly appears to be exactly what I was after. Still yet to use it in anger but if it lives up to the first impressions then I'll be more than happy :)

I love my red snapper but the only thing letting it down is that the spikes on the feet rust up when they're used on a beach and I quite often find myself ankle deep in the water when trying to get the sunset! :bang:

Well yep!

Steel and saltwater have that effect............:LOL:

Just ordered one of these with the free 3-way panning head. Probably move to a ball head in the future. Looking forward to my first tripod!! (y)

*Makes mental note to contact Joe regarding commission*.............:D

Seriously, you won`t be disappointed with your tripods.

I can`t add anything to the review,make your own mind up mate....:)

Just spent a few hours this morning looking at tripods and have made my decision... Ordered the RS-283C tripod and RSH-12 ball head.

The thing that actually sealed the deal was the fact you get a bag included with these tripods the Manfrotto one I was looking at would've cost over £300 by the time I add in a bag and it wasn't as strong or carbon fibre either.

Can't wait to test it out next weekend. (y)

I bought the 283 with ball head a month or so ago and love it. Not in the same league as Ade regarding usage, but i've used it indoors and out... in woods and in the middle of a stream... and it's worked brilliantly. And the strap on the bag is nice and wide too... not some flimsy thing that would dig into your shoulder after half an hour. Highly recommended.

Marc. :)

Just spent a few hours this morning looking at tripods and have made my decision... Ordered the RS-283C tripod and RSH-12 ball head.

Can't wait to test it out next weekend. (y)

I have this set up and can confirm you will not be disappointed with your decision. Great tripod and head. I also have the monopod but haven't used it in anger yet.

Excellent review

i also have the redsnapper 283 with 3 way head

great piece of kit for the price... solid.. reliable.. and at a great price (bought mine during the xmas sale)

yukioMishima

I have this set up and can confirm you will not be disappointed with your decision. Great tripod and head. I also have the monopod but haven't used it in anger yet.

Your not kidding Dave!

Just set it up and wow, the build quality is outstanding. All the clips and knobs feel like they are built to last which is always reassuring and the degree marker on the ball head will come in handy for taking panoramic photographs too, never noticed that but very useful!!

The ability to reverse the centre pole is a great feature too.

Can't wait to get out snapping this weekend. :D

Your not kidding Dave!

Just set it up and wow, the build quality is outstanding. All the clips and knobs feel like they are built to last which is always reassuring and the degree marker on the ball head will come in handy for taking panoramic photographs too, never noticed that but very useful!!

The ability to reverse the centre pole is a great feature too.

Can't wait to get out snapping this weekend. :D

when you say reverse the centre pole, do you literally just mean turn it upside down?

forgive my naievty, it's the first tripod I've ever owned (and on first impression, it will be the only tripod I ever own- I love it!), so don't understand the whole reversable centre column thing

Yes, you unscrew the two end pieces, reverse the column, then screw them back on. It enables you to get the camera right down on the ground, should you ever require it.

I bought the 284 version (4-piece legs, rather than 3) a few weeks ago, and I love it. (y)

Yes, you unscrew the two end pieces, reverse the column, then screw them back on. It enables you to get the camera right down on the ground, should you ever require it.

I bought the 284 version (4-piece legs, rather than 3) a few weeks ago, and I love it. (y)

This is going to sound REALLY stupid, but that means your camera is upside down?

Just a quick question I got a 283 with the free RSH 24 3 way head, but how do I lock the head to the mount, do i wind the the locking ring (big flat knurled knob) up towards it or just tighten the head down on to it?

I guess the main thing is to remember to undo the pan release before I try to move it.

Oh and thanks for reminding me I get a short column as well, I have just found it in the inner pocket of the bag + 2 allen keys for it!!!

Paul

Just a quick question I got a 283 with the free RSH 24 3 way head, but how do I lock the head to the mount, do i wind the the locking ring (big flat knurled knob) up towards it or just tighten the head down on to it?

I guess the main thing is to remember to undo the pan release before I try to move it.

Oh and thanks for reminding me I get a short column as well, I have just found it in the inner pocket of the bag + 2 allen keys for it!!!

Paul

There are three grubscrews under the tripods platform,put the head on and then tighten those screws.

I see them, but with the small base of the "free" RSH24 head they do not contact the bottom of the head?, I think I have it tighter now by tightening the head to mounting plate off the tripod then tightening plate on to tripod.
Are my two allen keys supposed to be the same as they seem to be and neither fits the grub screws?

cheers

Paul

Last edited:
Does anyone have size problems when traveling with the RS 283 or 284. The 283 seems to be fairly long with 62cm, or does that include the head?

Quick question: What's the difference between these two tripods? No. 1 No. 2

No. 1 is a 3 section version which means it is a little taller when collapsed but is also a little taller fully extended.

No. 2 is the 4 section version so it is a little shorter (80mm) when collapsed but is also 80mm shorter when fully extended too.

That's about it really. Both weigh the same and cost the same.

Hi

I wonder is there any discount for TP members on RedSnapper kit at the minute?

regards
ed

You got there before me! I seen something about 5% somewhere.... but can't remember where... :bang:

You got there before me! I seen something about 5% somewhere.... but can't remember where... :bang:

I got 10% on a 283c a week or 2 ago....

Cracking bit of kit, really pleased with it so far

Great review.

I'm ordering a redsnapper on payday. (y)

As a beginner to all this, I've just one question, would anyone recommend the 3 section or the 4 section version?

Is there a major difference?

Cheers

I got the 4 section yesterday purely for the reasons as stated above, shorter when all packed up - if you need the extra fully extended height and can live with it being longer when not in use go for 3, if not, 4 :)

Back