redsnapper v manfrotto

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Looking at tripods and would like some advice on the difference between
the redsnapper and manfrotto 190xprob apart from price that is .. would be used for close up mainly ... thanks

Looking at tripods and would like some advice on the difference between
the redsnapper and manfrotto 190xprob apart from price that is .. would be used for close up mainly ... thanks

Hi - Can't help with the manfrotto but I was originally using a Benbo trekker for closeup / macro work and got a redsnapper for landscape work etc, since the redsnapper arrived i have sold the benbo trekker and use the redsnapper all the time , these pics were taken using the tripod with a ball head.

Thanks Dogfish_magnet

Just returned from the closest camera shop and the 190 is rather light would need the 055 at least ...

you have some very nice photographs on your site ..

the redsnapper site could do with some more info on it

Thanks Dogfish_magnet

Just returned from the closest camera shop and the 190 is rather light would need the 055 at least ...

you have some very nice photographs on your site ..

the redsnapper site could do with some more info on it

Thanks for the comments on the web site i need to get the rest of my pic's up there , have a look here at a review i did of the redsnapper with pics.

Just read the review ... thanks foodpoison

better info in the review than on the redsnapper site!

do they just do the ball head? as I would need a 3 way head ..

hi Jimc how is it for getting down low for close ups?

Not tried it myself but the legs do have the option of practically going out flat,adjusted by a click mechanism at top of each leg.hope this helps

This is the first time I've heard about Redsnapper Tripods and I'm very curious how they compare with the usual Manfrotto/Bogens (190 or 055). Unfortunately, a Google and forum search doesn't provide comfort and I could only find a single review of the Tri-293 model.

Can someone talk a bit more about how the Redsnapper tripod stands up against the 'tried and tested' Manfrottos?

This is the first time I've heard about Redsnapper Tripods and I'm very curious how they compare with the usual Manfrotto/Bogens (190 or 055). Unfortunately, a Google and forum search doesn't provide comfort and I could only find a single review of the Tri-293 model.

Can someone talk a bit more about how the Redsnapper tripod stands up against the 'tried and tested' Manfrottos?

I suspect you're not going to find many reviews as Redsnapper is a fairly new brand name. I think I was the first person on TPF to buy a Redsnapper product.... the TB-32A ball head, which is really a copy of the Kirk Ball Head at about a third of the price. The quality is very impressive!

The proprietor of Redsnapper is now a member of TPF and operates here as a trader. He may well see this thread and comment.

I have no knowledge of Redsnapper tripods whatsoever, but in the interests of fairness, I'd have to say that reversible centre column is a PITA compared to a Manfrotto etc with a rotating centre column. While the camera can be mounted at the bottom of the column, you end up crawling between the legs to get your eye to the viewfinder, if indeed you can in some situations.

That said, if the tripod gets low enough with spread legs, that may not be a big issue for many people, as long as the tripod is sturdy and easy to use which it seems to be in the view of those who've tried it.

I suspect you're not going to find many reviews as Redsnapper is a fairly new brand name. I think I was the first person on TPF to buy a Redsnapper product.... the TB-32A ball head, which is really a copy of the Kirk Ball Head at about a third of the price. The quality is very impressive!

The proprietor of Redsnapper is now a member of TPF and operates here as a trader. He may well see this thread and comment.

I have no knowledge of Redsnapper tripods whatsoever, but in the interests of fairness, I'd have to say that reversible centre column is a PITA compared to a Manfrotto etc with a rotating centre column. While the camera can be mounted at the bottom of the column, you end up crawling between the legs to get your eye to the viewfinder, if indeed you can in some situations.

That said, if the tripod gets low enough with spread legs, that may not be a big issue for many people, as long as the tripod is sturdy and easy to use which it seems to be in the view of those who've tried it.

I appreciate that, CT. Hopefully, more people will be able to chime in. Also, I noticed there isn't a TB-32A model on the site, anymore. Is the TB-12 comparable to yours?

It's just I don't want to buy an 'adequate' tripod, only to replace it with something better sometime down the line. Also, since Redsnapper is a new company, the resell value will plummet, I assume. However, it's quite a deal, I have to admit.

Well, a tripod is something you just can't give enough thought to, and hopefully, if you get it right, you'll only need to buy it once. I don't doubt the quality of Redsnapper products from what I've seen, but the trouble with a centre column like that one is that once the bottom of it hits the ground , that's as low as you're going to get, and if you raise the centre column to get lower, then the camera just goes higher anyway.

Also, since Redsnapper is a new company, the resell value will plummet, I assume.

how much are you expecting to sell a £45 tripod for S/H???

Well, a tripod is something you just can't give enough thought to, and hopefully, if you get it right, you'll only need to buy it once. I don't doubt the quality of Redsnapper products from what I've seen, but the trouble with a centre column like that one is that once the bottom of it hits the ground , that's as low as you're going to get, and if you raise the centre column to get lower, then the camera just goes higher anyway.

i think it comes with a short centre column as well, although appreciate it wont go below the floor. but if your that low, surely you would carry something like a beanbag for that purpose?:shrug:

how much are you expecting to sell a £45 tripod for S/H???

Haha. Good point. Still, I'm a Canadian, so when you multiply £45 by 2 to get $90, it seems a lot more!

i think it comes with a short centre column as well, although appreciate it wont go below the floor. but if your that low, surely you would carry something like a beanbag for that purpose?:shrug:

It appears you're right.

The center pole is reversable allowing your camera to be positioned close to the ground OR you can change to the optional short center column that is included to get you 'low down'. It also has a sprung loaded hook to hang a weight from to give more stability to the tripod.

Well not really Fletch- a beanbag wouldn't be much good if it was a low down macro shot you were trying to take, and certainly not as adaptable as a tripod which gets really low

Personally, what I'd do is shorten that centre column down to nothing, which I have done in the past. ;)

One or two things to remember about Redsnapper "in the interests of fairness" ... :cautious: ... and I expect Joe to correct me if I am wrong here ... :shrug: ... they offer a significant discount to TP members on an already exceedingly good value for money range that are, by all accounts extremely well built and eminently suitable for the job (I too have one of their Ball Heads and have been very impressed with both its quality of build and its usability - I was probably the second TP member to buy pre-discount ... :D) ... and I also believe Joe offers a satisfied or send it back philosophy ... ;)

What have you got to lose ... :shrug:

BTB ... if you do a forum search on their name you will find a number of threads containing helpful stuff on their products ... ;)

:p

Fair does mind you if comes with a shorter centre column - how long is the short one?

One or two things to remember about Redsnapper "in the interests of fairness" ... :cautious: ... and I expect Joe to correct me if I am wrong here ... :shrug: ... they offer a significant discount to TP members on an already exceedingly good value for money range that are, by all accounts extremely well built and eminently suitable for the job (I too have one of their Ball Heads and have been very impressed with both its quality of build and its usability - I was probably the second TP member to buy pre-discount ... :D) ... and I also believe Joe offers a satisfied or send it back philosophy ... ;)

What have you got to lose ... :shrug:

BTB ... if you do a forum search on their name you will find a number of threads containing helpful stuff on their products ... ;)

:p

have to say i will be looking at this and the usual suspects in the near future. definetly seems a worthy competitor

this is the tpod in its lowest position -its 9 inches from the floor to the base plate where the head mounts, the short centerer column is approx 6 inch's long, and you could mount the camera under the tpod if you needed to.

tp.jpg

tp2.jpg

The question is, will it last like a Manfrotto. I had a Calumet brand tripod which looked like another "copy" and it snapped on the first day. Luckily I'm only around 10 min. drive from one of Calumet's warehouses so I just popped in, they offered an exchange but I said no no!

The question is, will it last like a Manfrotto. I had a Calumet brand tripod which looked like another "copy" and it snapped on the first day. Luckily I'm only around 10 min. drive from one of Calumet's warehouses so I just popped in, they offered an exchange but I said no no!

Only time will tell, but with a 3 year warranty at least you have some piece of mind:).

I've absolutely no doubt that this tripod is a well engineered bit of kit and for anyone wanting a tripod which which will adapt to most situations, it's a great pod at a great price. The original question though, was how it compared to other tripods, with the Manfrotto 190X Pro B being mentioned specifically, and the most significant difference, apart from price obviously, is that rotating centre column, which makes it a far more adaptable tripod.

This is a Gitzo, but it's a very similar arrangement to all rotating column tripods..

2489275102_c6bda4ee83_o.jpg

Note that it's sporting the Redsnapper ball head. ;) This tripod can go down to absolute ground level, keep the camera the right way up so you can operate it and read menus, and instantly rotate it to either landscape or portrait orientation

I am not rubbishing the Redsnapper - far from it, it looks excellent, but any attempts at mounting the camera upside down on that centre column, let alone trying to operate the camera once you've done it, will have you cursing like a trooper- it's an exercise in pure frustration - I know because I've done it.

As we've said many times here, a tripod is one of the most important bits of kit you'll ever buy and needs careful consideration. The Redsnapper looks great - if you need a tripod which is pretty adaptable to many situations, it looks excellent. If you're looking for a tripod that will adapt to any situation, then I'd just suggest to you that this one may not be it. :)

Thanks for all the replies...and I really appreciate them ..

Think I'm just as confused now as I was at the beginning ....

I asked at a camera store and they advised I would need the 055xprob for my kit (5d with 100mm macro) then checked the Manfrotto Configurator and it says the 190xprob with a 804RC2 pan head is a balanced system ... gota think of the extra weight for the wife to carry ..lol

Dogfish Magnet thanks for taking the time to post some photos the redsnapper has some good reviews here on the forum

CT thanks for photos and input is the Gitzo similar to the 190xprob in size weight and load capacity? the 190xprob has a weight load up to 4kg
like you say its going to be a very important part of kit and I want to get it right ..

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!!

CT thanks for photos and input is the Gitzo similar to the 190xprob in size weight and load capacity? the 190xprob has a weight load up to 4kg
like you say its going to be a very important part of kit and I want to get it right.

Mine is the Gitzo Explorer G2228 CF, which is discontinued now, but there'll be replacement models in both CF and aluminium - the latter being cheaper and probably just as good. I think the max advised weight is 6 kg or 13 lbs. I'm just inside that tolerance with the 500mm and the heaviest other bits, flash etc, I'm likely to stick on it. The whole concept of the Explorer series is that they're very light portable tripods. There are certainly tripods which will take more weight if you need it, but of course there's a trade off then in portability, and I'm loathe to add more weight to the gear I already carry around, when this pod does everything from bird togging with the 500mm, to macro down low, and even fits on a table top for table top photography. It's definitely the best pod I've ever owned, and while no tripod is perfect, this one comes close - for me.

The problem with investing in a tripod is you need to try to anticipate what your needs are likely to be in the future, to avoid redundancy and expensive changes, and that's well nigh impossible. The Manfrotto 190 is a well respected tripod and I can't really see you going far wrong with it unless your future plans are likely to include real monster tele lenses, in which case you may need to look elsewhere. Have a look at the Warehouse Express site where they have pretty well all models listed with full specs.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!!

LOL It's a nightmare I know, but while you're not diving in, you're not making a mistake. ;)

Well I have dived in CT thanks for taking time to help me with my choice ...

I have just ordered the manfrotto 190xprob with the 804CR2 head from Morris Photographic who have the best deal going that I could find
also got the micro positioning plate MN454 all for less than I was quoted for just the tripod and head ... and will be here tomorrow ...

Very friendly and helpful people at Morris Photographic ...

Its very reassuring to know you can come to TP and get valuable input and sensible replies to questions ....

Thanks again

I appreciate that, CT. Hopefully, more people will be able to chime in. Also, I noticed there isn't a TB-32A model on the site, anymore. Is the TB-12 comparable to yours?

Sorry Theo - I've only just seen this.

The TB -32A is actually badged 'Tristar' although I got it from Redsnapper, and It seems to be just a larger version of of the TB-12, so I would think it probably comes from the same source. I had the large version because when I can't be arsed to cart the gimbal head around I can keep the weight and bulk down a bit, and it easily supports the 500mm f4. It''s a very impressive ball head and I don't doubt the TB-12 is every bit as good. Don't be put off by the price - it's superbly engineered. ;) Check with Redsnapper to see if they can supply the larger one if that's the one you want?

Well I have dived in CT thanks for taking time to help me with my choice ...

I have just ordered the manfrotto 190xprob with the 804CR2 head from Morris Photographic who have the best deal going that I could find
also got the micro positioning plate MN454 all for less than I was quoted for just the tripod and head ... and will be here tomorrow ...

Very friendly and helpful people at Morris Photographic ...

Its very reassuring to know you can come to TP and get valuable input and sensible replies to questions ....

Thanks again

You're more than welcome, and I can't see you've done anything wrong there, particularly if you're interested in close-up/ macro work. (y)

Hi there,

I have been reading the forums for which Tripod to get and I'm confused as to which to buy. I'm only a novice but don't want to be splashing out for another tripod in a year or two I want something light weight but one that will last and that I can easily use. I went into Jesspos and bought a Velbon CX540 Tripod but although it is relatively light and at £36.99 fairly cheap, I htink I may have bought just for the sake of buying, although I did read some reviews that said for the price it was a good allround Tripod. What do you think and if the Velbon is no good, can you recommend one for a novice photographer.

Look forward to your reply

Mine is the Gitzo Explorer G2228 CF, which is discontinued now, but there'll be replacement models in both CF and aluminium - the latter being cheaper and probably just as good. I think the max advised weight is 6 kg or 13 lbs. I'm just inside that tolerance with the 500mm and the heaviest other bits, flash etc, I'm likely to stick on it. The whole concept of the Explorer series is that they're very light portable tripods. There are certainly tripods which will take more weight if you need it, but of course there's a trade off then in portability, and I'm loathe to add more weight to the gear I already carry around, when this pod does everything from bird togging with the 500mm, to macro down low, and even fits on a table top for table top photography. It's definitely the best pod I've ever owned, and while no tripod is perfect, this one comes close - for me.

The problem with investing in a tripod is you need to try to anticipate what your needs are likely to be in the future, to avoid redundancy and expensive changes, and that's well nigh impossible. The Manfrotto 190 is a well respected tripod and I can't really see you going far wrong with it unless your future plans are likely to include real monster tele lenses, in which case you may need to look elsewhere. Have a look at the Warehouse Express site where they have pretty well all models listed with full specs.

LOL It's a nightmare I know, but while you're not diving in, you're not making a mistake. ;)

Hi Dani. I've no hands on experience of this Velbon tripod so it's difficult to advise you. In advising on a tripod we'd really need to know what camera/lens combos you're likely to stick on it.

It does look though as though that three way head is made of plastic? If that's the case, try rotating your camera to portrait orientation (90 degrees) and see how stable it is when the whole weight is hanging on those plastic hinges. Usually plastic heads are virtually unusable in portrait mode with even a moderately heavy camera mounted.

Having said that, used in landscape mode it could serve your purposes for a while, but you don't get a very sturdy tripod and three way head for that sort of money is the honest truth.

Don't be in a rush - research all you can, there are are loads of threads here on the subject, but the conventional wisdom is, buy the tripod legs and the head separately, depending on your particular needs. Both items need lots of thought. :)

Hi Dani. I've no hands on experience of this Velbon tripod so it's difficult to advise you. In advising on a tripod we'd really need to know what camera/lens combos you're likely to stick on it.

It does look though as though that three way head is made of plastic? If that's the case, try rotating your camera to portrait orientation (90 degrees) and see how stable it is when the whole weight is hanging on those plastic hinges. Usually plastic heads are virtually unusable in portrait mode with even a moderately heavy camera mounted.

Having said that, used in landscape mode it could serve your purposes for a while, but you don't get a very sturdy tripod and three way head for that sort of money is the honest truth.

Don't be in a rush - research all you can, there are are loads of threads here on the subject, but the conventional wisdom is, buy the tripod legs and the head separately, depending on your particular needs. Both items need lots of thought. :)

The Velbon CX-540 is a great starter tripod for the money. Use it for 6 months or so and then decide when and if to upgrade, untill you start using heavy combination of gear I'm sure it will do the job just fine.

I asked at a camera store and they advised I would need the 055xprob for my kit (5d with 100mm macro) then checked the Manfrotto Configurator and it says the 190xprob with a 804RC2 pan head is a balanced system ... gota think of the extra weight for the wife to carry ..lol

I have the 190XPROB with the 804RC2 head and it holds a hell of a lot of weight (Sony A700 + Grip + Sigma 50-500 lens!). I'm thinking the guy was trying to sell you the more expensive kit! :cautious:

Back