Redundancy

Edit My Images
Yes
Well the time has come for the comapny to downsize by a 1000 employees in the UK alone.

I have been targetted and will be taking Redundancy as soon as HR completes the package.

So down the Agencies for me to put out my CV and see if I can keep as much of the money they are throwing out to me rather than spending it on necessary outgoings.

But as it is going to be an attractive package, I have already told the better half that we shall be going on a holiday with the kids to de-stress ourselves and I will be purchasing some more photo kit. You gotta really havent you.

So with this in mind, can someone recommend me a dedicated Macro lens as I would like to have a go with this (Canon mount) and any decent places to get it from.

I thought about this long, hard for the space of about 30 minutes and then decided why the hell not. I gave Canon a call about setting up a business selling Equipment. They were more than helpful and were willing to setup an account with them as long as I got some kind of retail premises even if it was just an office on an industrial estate.

Then the guy from Canon gave me an example. The Cost price Canon sell to its retailers for the Canon EOS 350D +18-55 Lens is £401.30 + Vat making it around £471. Jessops sell this for £484. £13 profit is all they are making per unit. Its just not worth trying to compete. Most online retailers are only making £5 per unit. There are obviously better discounts on lenses and peripherals and they do deals on certain things but the market is so saturated with the Cameras that there is no margin in them.

Watch out soon for the PIXMA printers getting a major boost in the adverts and stores with some good deals to be had on them.

Alas, I'm not going to proceed with this initial idea so back to tthe drawing board.

Best Regards

Mikey

aww, knocked back at the first hurdle, hope something turns up for you...a holiday is a good idea then when you are relaxed you will think of something ;)

Good luck in the job hunting, hope something catches your eye soon.

Holiday sounds like a great way to start another chapter(y)

Sorry that you're being 'downsized' but it could be the start of something much better. ;)

You asked about macro lenses, and after much deliberation I've just bought the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 which gets very good reviews. So far I'm very pleased with it - sample taken this morning....

mac40.jpg

The only drawback is that it is fairly large and heavy compared with some macro lenses, but the 150mm focal length is ideal for bug shots. The one above was taken hand-held - I've never had much luck with a tripod for that sort of thing because the critters never land where I've set up.

Anyway, if you're interested in the Sigma 150mm there's no point shopping around the UK suppliers because nobody has one, and neither do Sigma UK. The good news is that Onestop Digital in HK are selling them for £343 including delivery - about £70 cheaper than the lowest advertised price here. I ordered last Thursday afternoon and it arrived at 8.20 on Monday morning, which ain't at all bad. There was no VAT to pay, but they will refund it if you are charged.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Best of luck in the job hunt. :)

Personally I don't believe for a second that Jessops only have a gross margin of 2.7% on a 350D and kit lens. They WILL have negotiated a far better deal than that. I'd suspect you're being quoted the standard pricing without volume and retrospective discounts. Apart from anything else it's not in their interests to give out real prices to someone over the phone, especially in view of how easy it is to spread information nowadays.

Best of luck with the job hunting mate.

Don't let the downsizing get you down, and most of all, don't sweat it....You take that holiday, and you treat yourself to some stuff if you want. You've earned the money, why not?

I like to live by the saying "You can't take it with you when you're gone"

You've also had the gusto and cajones to look into a new venture already (y) , and mindful enough to realise it wouldn't work out :) Fair play to ya.

Good luck with it all mate :)

Thanks for the kind words from you all.

The only thing that gets me down at the moment is knowing that I dont have anything income coming into the house at all and the stability that that brings with it. Having said that, I have 2 kids (twins) at the age of 2 and a partner that keeps me on the straight and narrow so what more can a man really want.

That Sigma 150 looks good. Can anyone offer alternatives to this which should be a consideration. Please dont say the Canon 180 L as I might just have to go sell a kidney to buy that.

I have already commited myself to purchasing the Canon 100-400 L and the Nifty Fifty so the Macro is the final lens I need a decision on at the moment.

One other thing to ponder, I have the Speedlite 580EX. Is it worth getting a macro ring flash as well or just get an off shoe cord for the Flash Unit.

Best Regards

Mikey

Double_Agent said:
One other thing to ponder, I have the Speedlite 580EX. Is it worth getting a macro ring flash as well or just get an off shoe cord for the Flash Unit.
I'd get the off shoe cord if I were you. I have one and it's great. The problem with the ring type flashes is they produce very flat directionless lighting. See how you get on with the off shoe flash before you commit to a unit you might not use much. :)

When you gonna market that bracket Robert? :D

It is a standard manfrotto 233B. Think i got it from T4 cameras and it was around £30. It will angle forward and out sideways and locks really solid in position.

I had to add a small ball joint at the end to angle the flash down. That was the small hama one from 7dayshop... should have got a larger ball joint as its not really strong enough.

I have gone ahead and purchased the Sigma 150 Macro now and a Sto-Fen to go with it for the flash.

Now to get the bracket Patented by RobertP or something similar. :p :D

Back