Referees

While I'm not disagreeing with you, the issue with that is whichever county's FA is the first to instigate the said shake up, will probably be uncompetitive against the others that continue. It needs better education at acadamy level. Teach the youngsters not to do it, and instil a better moral compass in them. But again, those that do will have to compete against those that don't.

What I have been pleased to see (being an Arsenal fan all my life) is the way that Mikel Arteta has laid down a "my way or the highway" rule at the club, regarding general discipline both on and off the field. A number of players, some of them big names, have been moved on due to their failure to comply. That in itself is rather refreshing.

It is surely FIFA's job to instigate world-wide conduct standards; in which case I'll not hold my breath. It's a real shame as I quite like watching football but the antics of many 'professional' footballers ruins it for me and, I suspect, many people who would otherwise take a greater interest. It is unsurprising that ladies football has come on in popularity due to their general respect for the rules and the match officials; I do hope it is an attitude that lasts in the light of larger wages and sponsorship pressures.

A friend of mine took his son out of a junior academy when he discovered that they were teaching the kids how to run the clock down. As he put it, he'd rather lose fairly than win like that.

It is surely FIFA's job to instigate world-wide conduct standards; in which case I'll not hold my breath. It's a real shame as I quite like watching football but the antics of many 'professional' footballers ruins it for me and, I suspect, many people who would otherwise take a greater interest. It is unsurprising that ladies football has come on in popularity due to their general respect for the rules and the match officials; I do hope it is an attitude that lasts in the light of larger wages and sponsorship pressures.

The thing I really hate seeing is a player going down like he's been shot, holding his face, when in the replay you can clearly see that his head hasn't been touched. But then I really disapprove of players being singled out and kicked to buggery, generally the opposition rotate the player doing it so they don't get booked....

Be amusing if they brought the same rule in for Wimbledon tennis; imagine Novak Djokovic running around trying to pick up his own tennis balls mounted in cones in the corners of the court.

I think this change was brought in because in one instance I saw a player roughly handle a ball boy who he thought was 'witholding' the ball to gain a few moments as his team was minutes away from a win by just one goal. I can't recall which game. In fact, this season,Fulham goalkeeper, Bernd Leno, seemed to push a ball boy during his side's 3-0 defeat by Bournemouth and it happened in the Coventry v Wolves FA Cup quarter-finals when Coventry knocked them out.

In that video in my link above you can see the 'on-the-ball' (lol) ball boy throwing a ball he had..ie not the game ball which had gone out of play somewhere near the goal some 15m away, to Trent Arnold (Liverpool) who was very close to the corner and who took the corner very quickly. He kicked it to Origi, a Liverpool forward, who with one swift kick scores. Shortly afterwards the final whistle blew and Liverpool beat Barcelona 4-0 That was May 7 2019 . So..I imagine Barcelona complained as they were caught completly off-guard. In that game Liverpool made one of the greatest comebacks in football history because they went into the game at 3-0 down (first leg at the at the Camp Nou stadium) and thus got themselves through to the Champions League Final on a 4-3 win, on aggregate, to go on and beat my team..Spurs.. 2-0 :(

The thing I really hate seeing is a player going down like he's been shot, holding his face, when in the replay you can clearly see that his head hasn't been touched. But then I really disapprove of players being singled out and kicked to buggery, generally the opposition rotate the player doing it so they don't get booked....

Agree..maybe VAR could take a quick replay look to see if the player really was struck in the face and ,if not, then a yellow card. I watched the Newcastle v West Ham game on Saturday so maybe it was that game and a player..West Ham,I think as they were under pressure after being ahead 3-1 went down holding his face but he could be seen looking through his fingers to see if the Newcastle player had been given a yellow card. The commentator made a comment to that effect.

Another regular incident that I think should be worthy of a yellow card because of the likelihood of a nasty injury..even a head injury, is when two players, generally, a forward and a defender, go for a ball as it's about to cross the goal line (between the goal and the corner) and out of play and the attacker will give the defender a hard shove in the back hoping to get the ball.The result is that the defender is sent crashing into the hoardings. I've seen some nasty injuries because of that. I stand to be corrected on this but but I'm, sure it's worse at Old Trafford becasue the pitch from the goal line drops away to the bottom of the hoardings adding to momentum.

Of course time-wasting would be pointless if the clock stopped when the ball went out of play, that way ball boys/girls could do a proper job without being accused of bias. Same with the acting after a 'foul', anyone who is really in that much pain after a collision with another player would likely be stretchered off, not jumping up and running off once the required time-wasting has been achieved. I do watch the occasional game, especially in the European and World Cups, but in general, football, the way it is run, is a joke perpetrated by ridiculously over-paid players and busnesses who probably couldn't give a monkey's about the game. The whole system needs to be picked up by the scruff of the neck and given a good shaking.
My bold. I posted the fixtures for the UEFA- Euro fixtures in the Football thread.

I think this change was brought in because in one instance I saw a player roughly handle a ball boy who he thought was 'witholding' the ball to gain a few moments as his team was minutes away from a win by just one goal. I can't recall which game.
I believe it was at Swansea a few years ago. The ball boy was lying on the ball and the player booted it out from under him. The ball boy was the Swansea chairman's son iirc.

I believe it was at Swansea a few years ago. The ball boy was lying on the ball and the player booted it out from under him. The ball boy was the Swansea chairman's son iirc.
Probably deserved it then.

Lots of reasons why I wouldn’t watch football even if it being played on my front garden, I might turn the sprinklers on and shout “Get to F*ck” at them though. Rugby now, the weather is never too bad to go watch a game.

Oddly enough I've gone the other way. Lifetime rugby supporter but the game has become really boring in my opinion.

Back