Reflection experiment...advice?

Edit My Images
Yes
Well after seeing 'Water out...Glycerine in' post, i wondered if it was on a CD, so i done a test with some water. Then i went onto reflections from the CD.

They were all just 'daft' quick picture testing out things, hence maybe a bit out of foucus and not brilliant composition....

.... im now wondering if anyone can give me some advice on where this could lead to as i quite like the effects etc

thanks for looking.

DSCN2164.jpg

test2n.jpg

testttt.jpg

DSCN2177.jpg

DSCN2190.jpg

Last edited:
Number 2 is spot on!! Try using a blank DVD as a backdrop as this gives a better range of refracted colurs, I also use a direct but easily postionable light source (£10 B&Q gooseneck LED lamp) and just play around with the angles until you get a decent refraction. At a pinch a bright LED torch will do, I have a real ghetto approach as I've got really basic kit. Ummm, just keep playing around with light sources and backdrops, that's half the fun of it really. Have at look at my FlickR for some other ideas.

Carl

Number 2 is spot on!! Try using a blank DVD as a backdrop as this gives a better range of refracted colurs, I also use a direct but easily postionable light source (£10 B&Q gooseneck LED lamp) and just play around with the angles until you get a decent refraction. At a pinch a bright LED torch will do, I have a real ghetto approach as I've got really basic kit. Ummm, just keep playing around with light sources and backdrops, that's half the fun of it really. Have at look at my FlickR for some other ideas.

Carl

you've done a lot of experimenting! lol some great pics!

ill try a blank one next. Do you shoot them in the dark with the lighting i take it?

I wanted to crop into number 1 but looks rubbish as i cut the drop in half :-(

you've done a lot of experimenting! lol some great pics!

ill try a blank one next. Do you shoot them in the dark with the lighting i take it?

I wanted to crop into number 1 but looks rubbish as i cut the drop in half :-(

Depends, if there is a decent amount of sunlight I'll use that BUT normally I'll shoot in a darker area with limited incidental light, I tend to get most of my light from my lamp or torch, this way you'll get fewer reflections. On my B&Q lamp I've actually taped a piece of grease proof paper over the LED bulb to act as a diffuser, I do the same with my LED torch... Obviously don't do that with halogen / filament bulbs as they get hot!

Keep up the great work (y)

Carl

Back