reflections

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

I have tried without success to photograph a pair of New wedding rings- I seem not to be able to avoid me or my camera's reflection in the rings

It's driving me mad, any idea's thought are most welcome

Les o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried without success to photograph a pair of New wedding rings- I seem not to be able to avoid my or my camera's reflection in the rings

It's driving me mad, any idea's thought are most welcome

Les o_O

This might be worth a try Sir, something I've done with success on many occasions is to put very shiny things like that in the fridge for while. Set your photographing area up so everything is ready. Take them out of the fridge when they've got fairly cold and they'll mist up slightly just enough to kill any reflections. If they mist up too much try again without them being in the fridge for quite as long. Job Done.(y)

George.

Hi,

From your description, I'll assume that the actual band of the ring is round in which case it is going to reflect pretty much everything. The trick to this is to place reflector cards and light those so that they reflect where you want in the ring. For the front, you need a large white card with a hole in it for the lens to see through. The card will be reflected and not you or your camera. You will still have to clone out the black spot that will be the front of your lens.

Jewellery is quite a complex subject to photograph but the above should get you started.

Regards...

Thank both- these are brand new wedding bands ( x2) and therefore: very shiny and as said they do reflect every thing no matter where I place speed-lights or camera, very frustrating

I will try the card with a hole in see how I get on

Les

If you have access to a tilt shift lens, this could help as long as it's possible to angle the shot so you are out of the reflection. I'd imagine if the rings are curved this may still be difficult to achieve.

Jewellery is IMHO one of the hardest things to photograph well....even with the little light boxes designed for such things. I try to get as far back as I can so editing out any reflections is easier

This might be worth a try Sir, something I've done with success on many occasions is to put very shiny things like that in the fridge for while. Set your photographing area up so everything is ready. Take them out of the fridge when they've got fairly cold and they'll mist up slightly just enough to kill any reflections. If they mist up too much try again without them being in the fridge for quite as long. Job Done.(y)

George.
Basically the same as using dulling spray (hairspray works).
However, it will make the metal look like it is, uhm... dull, and not shiny/polished. Probably not the desired result... and it doesn't really get rid of the bright/dark issue.

Last edited:
The problem is simply down to physics.

So for the solution you have to use physics.... and photoshop.

The rings will reflect whatever is in front of them, so put something in front of them you're happy to see reflected.

Getting the camera along way away will help, Photoshop will do the rest.

The problem is simply down to physics.

So for the solution you have to use physics.... and photoshop.

The rings will reflect whatever is in front of them, so put something in front of them you're happy to see reflected.

Getting the camera along way away will help, Photoshop will do the rest.

Thank you Phil, I like shoot close up with 105mm Macro lens- so getting a log way off could be difficult, I did try Photoshop but the results were poor, down to my lack of skill I'm guessing

Here's the best of a bad group

Wedding rings 1 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

wedding rings 2 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

wedding rings 3 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
I like shoot close up with 105mm Macro lens- so getting a log way off could be difficult
The question has to be "why?" Just because you have a "habit/preference" doesn't make it the right choice. There are times where a macro lens might be the right choice, but not this time (IMO).

In this case there are no fine details/engravings/etc that would benefit from macro/near macro reproduction. So there is no real benefit, only the negative in that it makes reflections of the camera/lens larger. Plus, when working at really short distances DOF can be very shallow (+/-).

The question has to be "why?" Just because you have a "habit/preference" doesn't make it the right choice. There are times where a macro lens might be the right choice, but not this time (IMO).

In this case there are no fine details/engravings/etc that would benefit from macro/near macro reproduction. So there is no real benefit, only the negative in that it makes reflections of the camera/lens larger. Plus, when working at really short distances DOF can be very shallow (+/-).

Thank you for your comments Steven, May I ask what lens you would use, I have the following lenses in my arsenal.

35 mm f1.8
50 mm f1.8
16-50 mm f2.8
24-70 mm f2.8
105 mm f2.8
70-200 mm f2.8
300 mm f2.8
150-600mm f5.6

any advice tips are most welcome, this wedding stuff is all new to me

Les

Tend to agree with Steven. Macro lens is fine, just not so close. This is not a catalogue photo, the rings are actually a symbol of love and union/marriage etc rather than being the whole subject. If you put 'wedding rings photography ideas' into google images you'll see loads of pictures where the rings are just a small part https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...#tbm=isch&q=wedding+rings+photography+ideas&*

You've controlled the reflections quite well. At least some reflections are essential to show shape, texture etc - you just need to get rid of anything really distracting.

Thank you for your comments Steven, May I ask what lens you would use, I have the following lenses in my arsenal.

35 mm f1.8
50 mm f1.8
16-50 mm f2.8
24-70 mm f2.8
105 mm f2.8
70-200 mm f2.8
300 mm f2.8
150-600mm f5.6

any advice tips are most welcome, this wedding stuff is all new to me

Les
It's situational, basically whichever lens suited the longest distance I could set up (probably with the rings on the floor). My guess is 200-300mm. BTW, why did you have the pop-up flash on?

Last edited:
It's situational, basically whichever lens suited the longest distance I could set up (probably with the rings on the floor). My guess is 200-300mm. BTW, why did you have the pop-up flash on?

I didn't have a pop up flash on- I shot the above with a Lencarta smart flash 3 and a brolly + Reflector- I added the catch-light in Photoshop on the 1st 2 images but not the 3rd :)

So you think my 70-200m f2.8 then?

Les

I didn't have a pop up flash on- I shot the above with a Lencarta smart flash 3 and a brolly + Reflector- I added the catch-light in Photoshop on the 1st 2 images but not the 3rd :)

So you think my 70-200m f2.8 then?

Les
Ah, the exif says flash on-fired... TTL trigger I guess. I would certainly try the 70-200...

Ah, the exif says flash on-fired... TTL trigger I guess. I would certainly try the 70-200...

Yes bang on Steven, TTL trigger

I'll give the 70-200mm a go

Thanks for your input

Les

Back