Reflector help!

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a gold reflector, a white one and a silver one, but having not tested them outdoors I just wondered what effect each one will give.

Doing a shoot under some railway arches on Friday, and in a warehouse/industrial area on Sunday.

I assume you've used the reflectors indoors? They'll give relatively similar results outdoors as indoors.

The white will give you a soft fill in, whilst the silver will give a much "harder" effect. The gold will be the same as the silver , but much warmer. Using reflectors outside can be tricky on sunny days with little or no cloud. You can reflect the blue sky into the subject giving it a cold balance. This could be where the Gold reflector can come in handy.

Personally I prefer the white reflectors as these tend to give a softer light, which I think looks more normal. But hey that's my opinion.

Might be a bit late now , but if you can try some experimental shots before hand that may help

Used them briefly indoors, but the natural light in our house is a bit naff to say the least. Trying to get out and use them outdoors but been babysitting last few days and baby + reflectors don't mix well, he keeps wanting to eat them haha.

Probably thinks they are supersized Rusks

Ha ha everything's food to him, he's 10months old and teething!

Ha ha everything's food to him, he's 10months old and teething!

That 'affliction' will never again go away. We all love to stick funny things in our mouths, don't we? And, according to statistics, most of us do it once a week on average (if we're lucky)...

:LOL:

How rude! hehehe.

Another general rule is that goldie is not for oldies. It only works well on younger flesh. The closer you can get a reflector the softer it's effect even though it increases in brightness.

(y)

Does that mean that for more 'mature ' subjects you should use white/silver?

By the way Am interested in buying some relectors. Are you better with the kit with interchangable covers (cheaper) or just stick to a couple of seperate reflectors.

Also whats the best size of reflector to use for portraiture both indoor and outdoor. There is such a wide range from 12" to 6ft I dont want my helper to take off on a windy day, then again I dont want something so small it needs to be practically in the shot to be effective.

Any advice appreciated?

Bridgett: if you subscribe to Digital Photo, you get a 5-in-1 reflector. And in the current edition there's a useful guide to portraits with and without reflectors.

By the way Am interested in buying some relectors.

D-I-Y is a looot cheaper, and you can have your reflector(s) still today, if you want:

get (a) foamboard panel(s) of the size and shape you want from Home Depot or some other D-I-Y store. Carefully crumple household aluminium foil into a fairly tight ball – but not too tight!, then 'uncrumple' and stretch it out even more carefully (so as not to tear it), and spray-glue it onto the board(s). Shiny side out! Then iron it good and flat, without heat! Finish the edges with gaffer tape, and you're all set.

Tada!

Reflector(s) for a couple bucks!

Have fun!

D-I-Y is a looot cheaper, and you can have your reflector(s) still today, if you want:

get (a) foamboard panel(s) of the size and shape you want from Home Depot or some other D-I-Y store. Carefully crumple household aluminium foil into a fairly tight ball – but not too tight!, then 'uncrumple' and stretch it out even more carefully (so as not to tear it), and spray-glue it onto the board(s). Shiny side out! Then iron it good and flat, without heat! Finish the edges with gaffer tape, and you're all set.

Tada!

Reflector(s) for a couple bucks!

Have fun!

Yes but you lose out on all the fun of trying to fold up your Lastolites;)

Yes but you lose out on all the fun of trying to fold up your Lastolites

LOL that is so true,
Good tip for the DIY job, and also the subscription to the mag... is this size(20") i think I recall big enough for portrait work?

Back