Refurb Fuji S5 Pro £350

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got an email from Fuji about a special promo their running until the 31st of December.

Using the code FSDEC gets you 15% off any refurb Fuji camera off their website.

The S5 pro becomes £350 with this code... Bargain.

Pete

Damn it......I might just have to buy a "spare" one at that price :LOL:

What a lot of camera for the money that is....

I'm really tempted to buy another as a backup and "mothball" it.

Having said that, while I do often prefer the S5 Pro output over the D700, when I have a D700 and S5 Pro to choose from, I do find myself choosing the D700.

First Nikon I've ever done that with too....

blimey that is cheap.

I had one a few months back (£499) but had a lot of hot pixels so got a refund.

Actually unless its changed, the "refurbs" are brand new unused cameras, with Refurb stickers slapped on the side.

AFAIK everyone who gets one gets a new camera with zero acutations (I guess maybe they can reset this counter though...)

Actually unless its changed, the "refurbs" are brand new unused cameras, with Refurb stickers slapped on the side.

AFAIK everyone who gets one gets a new camera with zero acutations (I guess maybe they can reset this counter though...)

The last few people I saw posts from who had bought them recently got them in plain "refurb" boxes

Interesting - I bought one when they went down to £405 in April 2008 and mine was a brand new retail boxed camera, identical in everyway to my original 2007 Warehouse Express purchase apart from a refurb sticker.

Maybe they do this to stop resellers?

Thanks for the heads up! I've been exploring upgrade options and I keep coming back to the S5Pro. It sounds like its hard to beat if bang for buck and image quality are your two main considerations.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on a better option than this before I push the button? I'm into travel and landscapes and currently have a D40 with kit lens and a 10-20.

Do you think they will hold their value much longer even though they are 2-3 years old?

I'm tempted myself and I already have a D3 and a D700 but £350 is a bargain. Must not... Need to buy the 50/1.4...

Thanks for the heads up! I've been exploring upgrade options and I keep coming back to the S5Pro. It sounds like its hard to beat if bang for buck and image quality are your two main considerations.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on a better option than this before I push the button? I'm into travel and landscapes and currently have a D40 with kit lens and a 10-20.

Do you think they will hold their value much longer even though they are 2-3 years old?

The 10-20 will probably hold its value, especially as both used and new prices have gone up.

Personally I'm not overly keen on the 10-20 on the S5 Pro, it really needs a sharper lens, from experience the S5 Pro loves the Tokina 12-24, the 10-20 really isn't sharp enough to cut through the S5 Pro's AA filter IMHO.

I could show you shots from both lenses, chalk and cheese on the S5 Pro (not so much on a D60)

ive been thinking about an S5 instead of my D300 as a second camera, is the DR of the sensor that much improved over the nikon offering?

Last edited:
The 10-20 will probably hold its value, especially as both used and new prices have gone up.

Personally I'm not overly keen on the 10-20 on the S5 Pro, it really needs a sharper lens, from experience the S5 Pro loves the Tokina 12-24, the 10-20 really isn't sharp enough to cut through the S5 Pro's AA filter IMHO.

I could show you shots from both lenses, chalk and cheese on the S5 Pro (not so much on a D60)

Interesting..........do you think I would get better results with the 10-20 on the S5pro than on my D40?

ive been thinking about an S5 instead of my D300 as a second camera, is the HDR of the sensor that much improved over the nikon offering?

Be careful when you call it an HDR sensor = HDR is minging - the Fuji sensor delivers very realistic and lifelike tones and images!

Much improved? Well the main trick is the DR, and here the S5 Pro beats anything out there. Colours are superb. The images have a depth and tonality you don't find from Nikon DX cameras.

I'd recommend trying one, I do know a few people who haven't taken to it, almost always due to the slight softness due to interpolation / strong AA filter.

Be careful when you call it an HDR sensor = HDR is minging - the Fuji sensor delivers very realistic and lifelike tones and images!

ye i realised that mistake before you posted mate, as i have a d700 i was going to keep the d300 as a backup/second but it would be nice to have a camera that could actually offer a different type of picture if you know what i mean? plus for me a d300 is a bit overkill as a second camera as im not a pro

thanks for the voucher code mate, i took the plunge (y)

i'm going to do some test shots against the d300 and which ever i like the best i keep.

i would like a camera to do parties and casual stuff, dont really fancy taking £2500 of equipment to something like that, even the d300 is too much really so £350 sounds perfect especially as it handles skin tones so well, plus it gives me a viable alternative camera for different situations instead of just a duplicate so to speak

All I know is my D300 has been stuck in the bag since the S5 arrived, the only thing that bugs me about it is that it's ponderously slow to write images to the card, it can be as slow as 4 or 5 seconds per shot if you try shooting raw +jpeg at 400% DR...

well hopefully for the times i would use it that wont be too much of an issue, i have my d700 now :)

All I know is my D300 has been stuck in the bag since the S5 arrived, the only thing that bugs me about it is that it's ponderously slow to write images to the card, it can be as slow as 4 or 5 seconds per shot if you try shooting raw +jpeg at 400% DR...

When did you buy yours FiTP?

Ive not taken my S3 out the bag since I got my D700. If you play with the settings or shoot RAW there is very little in it DR wise and the speed differences are immense.

Still keep it in the bag "just in case" ***.

Does the Nikon D200 battery pack/grip fit? I ask because I think it's the same physical body but I understand the batteries are different?

Also, would this be much of an upgrade to a D70s? I was considering a D300 or D90 when the price was right. I can understand the Fuji has a wide DR requiring a lot of post-processing from RAW but it's still going to be a 6MP camera right? I read it's good for landscapes but they generally require bitingly sharp images yet I'm reading it can be soft due to interpolation...b*gger i wish I understood this photography lark! :)

Last edited:
Does the Nikon D200 battery pack/grip fit?

Yes

I ask because I think it's the same physical body but I understand the batteries are different?

Yes, you need to fit NP-150s (or AA off course)

Also, would this be much of an upgrade to a D70s?

Yes

I read it's good for landscapes but they generally require bitingly sharp images yet I'm reading it can be soft due to interpolation...b*gger i wish I understood this photography lark!

Have a look at my Gallery here, most its shot with a Fuji S5 Pro (later ones were with a D700). The S5 Pro blows even the D700 away for DR.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andydrake/sets/72157600272668152/

I can always used more detail for landscape, moving from 6 to 10 or 12 makes very little difference in prints.

cheers icecavern we have just ordered one.

I'll give you 50p in 3 years time. But then most cameras are worth bugger all in 3 years.

:LOL::LOL:We went digital when the Fuji S1 came out - I seem to remember paying £2999 for the first body. Went onto by 3 more as we were employing photographers at that time.

I treated myself to a Nikon D1x which went wrong within two weeks. I searched for the NikonUK repair number but it did not exist. When film ruled we could take a Nikon in for an on the spot repair but not digital, it took 5 months for Nikon to repair - the D1x had cost over £4500.

The S1s worked really hard and earned their money and has some have said always returned stunning skin tones.

I use Canon 5ds now. One of the draw backs is that when it comes to taking family snaps there is no built in flash. I was thinking of buying a Canon G9 for doing them but this S5 is hardly any more expensive. Really looking forward to getting it

Wow, just gone back to the page to get a link for a friend and they are now out of stock, did we get the last one??

ive just ordered one no problem must be back in stock (y)

Back