Refurbished iMacs

Stephen L

I asked a Stupid Question Once...
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
No
Anyone else noticed that from today the UK Apple Refurb store has quite a sizeable number of 27" iMacs, up from zero yesterday? Does this mean they are close to announcing the release of the 2018 models, just as they did yesterday with the Macbook Pro?

Hope it's sooner rather than later! My present iMac has developed an intermittent screen fault, which of course doesn't show itself when an engineer looks at it, so I've allocated the funds to replace it. The trouble is I don't know whether to a) wait for the new models, whenever b) buy a current model, c) buy a 2015 refurb, or d) buy a latest Macbook Pro (I already have a secondary 27" display.) I won't be doing anything till I'm back from holidays early August.

Yes I would wait. From what I understand they are still selling computers with 7th gen cpu`s which is a total joke.

They are a bit dated. Not bad, but I think I’ll wait for the later ones.

I had an i5 7500 7th gen. It scored 8300 I think on cpubenchmark website.

Then tested a 8th gen i5 8600k and it scores 14300.

The difference is massive although yes they are not quite comparable but even the direct predecessor would have been way off.

I had an i5 7500 7th gen. It scored 8300 I think on cpubenchmark website.

Then tested a 8th gen i5 8600k and it scores 14300.

The difference is massive although yes they are not quite comparable but even the direct predecessor would have been way off.
Very true, although I bear in mind that, just like photography, I don’t photograph test charts or brick walls, likewise I don’t run benchmarks. :D

But it always helps to get the best you can at the time to give the longest useful life.

I reflect that when I first started working in IT in 1976 it was on an IBM 370/145, which had the performance of a hearing aid today!

Very true, although I bear in mind that, just like photography, I don’t photograph test charts or brick walls, likewise I don’t run benchmarks. :D

But it always helps to get the best you can at the time to give the longest useful life.

I reflect that when I first started working in IT in 1976 it was on an IBM 370/145, which had the performance of a hearing aid today!
pardon?:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

How far behind is a 2014 MacBook Pro 15”, 1TB SSD with 16gb RAM? Not an IT whizz so please avoid tech speak. I am considering going in to look at one that is being offered for sale at the place that just upgraded my 27”desktop to an SSD drive and more RAM. What would you expect that to cost - no Office or anything like that included? That’s all I know about it.

How far behind is a 2014 MacBook Pro 15”, 1TB SSD with 16gb RAM? Not an IT whizz so please avoid tech speak. I am considering going in to look at one that is being offered for sale at the place that just upgraded my 27”desktop to an SSD drive and more RAM. What would you expect that to cost - no Office or anything like that included? That’s all I know about it.
Don't know without more details, but I would guess it's about 4 generations behind the latest.

So, does that suggest that it is behind the big leap forwards that GTG referred to a few posts above,

Back