Regrettably due to a stroke

Name
Clive
Edit My Images
Yes
Could you please help
Regrettably due to a stroke I’ve got to get a lighter camera any suggestions
I’ll also be selling all my camera gear

Sorry to hear of your stroke and need to offload your existing kit.
What are you used to, there are a variety of smaller/lighter options e.g. many have enjoyed using the Nikon V1/V2 cameras :)

It might depend on how your stroke h's affected you. And what abilities you have lost or still have

Sorry to hear about your stroke. What's your current gear and budget so we have a better idea what to recommend?

Thanks for all your help
I’ve been looking at the Nikon V1/V2 have you seen any reviews
My existing kit is Nikon D300s and sigma lenses

Hi there- sorry to hear about your stroke. I have had to get something lighter and have a Lumix G7 compact system camera… they have offers at the moment and I think one of them is the 20mm 1.7 which is fab. As was said above, I guess it depends on budget. Hope you find something that works. The X20 is goods well.

Best wishes to you. I have the Canon 100D the smallest and lightest DSLR and i have to say i love it! Take care.

Best wishes Clive. I'll reinforce some of the earlier comments and suggest you look at various models in the Fuji X-series, but do try and get a hands-on with as many models as possible and ideally with and without the various grip options.

Is it purely weight reduction that you're looking for or are there considerations around grip/fine motor skills and/or one-handed operation of the camera?

Hi
I’ve been through dozens of reviews and thing getting the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 out in July
Thanks again for all your help
Regards
Clive

Clive, I use a V1 with the FT-1 adaptor so I can use AF-S lenses on it (F mount). The 2.7x crop factor makes long lengths challenging (a 300 has an EFL of 810mm) but not impossible with VR! My main CSC system is now the Fuji X series, an X-T1 and an X-Pro1 but I also use a couple of their (Fuji's) compacts, XF-1 and X-20.

I came to this conversation a bit late, but hope you haven't given up all your equipment yet. You may find you're stronger as time goes on and can find small projects to do with your camera equipment that won't require carrying it too far. I have a small Canon PowerShot A4000 that I carry in my handbag, but I also have a DSLR (Canon 550D) that I use as well. The Canon PowerShot takes excellent photos most of the time, but sometimes the DSLR is just the only thing to do the job.

Hope you're feeling stronger now.

Sony A6000, hope your health continues to improve.(y)

a bit late here too seeing this. having suffered major surgery back in march and unable to lift anything heavier than a mug of tea i feel your pain.
in terms of camera weight i loved my fuji x-e1 when i had it ( before switching back to a much heavier canon 60D ) . even with a couple of lenses the fuji could fit in a tiny canvas camera bag and be carried around all day long with no issues and was a total and utter joy to use.
Since then of course fuji have extended there range with the X-E2, the X-T1, the X-m1 and the X-A1 all of which look great.
Best wishes for your recovery

Thanks for all your messages, I’ve sold all my Nikon camera gear and purchase the Lumix FZ200 it’s 24mm to 600mm at 2.8

I purchased the Lumix FZ200 bridge camera it’s very light and a 24mm to 600mm zoom at 2.8 all the way through the zoom range, It’s like learning photography again but easier
I’ve just sent for the three 52mm close up screw on lens for macro
Regards
Clive

Enjoy the new toys, Clive!

Hope your recovery continues - I know from experience that there's certainly life after (as my surgeon and OT lady put it) "a gross insult to the brain".

I’m not going to sit and vegetate I’ve booked on three disabled rambles using an all terrain tramper
I’ve been messing about with NIK pulg-ins for photoshop CS6 and they are awesome

Sony A6000, hope your health continues to improve.(y)

+1 :)

I have a DSLR and the A6000. The Sony is much lighter and works a treat. I did end up sticking a reasonably heavy 18-200 lens on it but even then it is lighter than the DSLR.

My son uses the Sony most of the time and image quality is very good.

Dave.

Edit - just noticed I am a day too late :)

Last edited:
Hi Dave

I purchased the Lumix FZ200 bridge camera it’s very light and a 24mm to 600mm zoom at 2.8 all the way through the zoom range, It’s like learning photography again but easier
I’ve just sent for the three 52mm close up screw on lens for macro

Regards

Clive

I considered the FZ200 when I was getting started (only a few months ago). There are some good videos on Youtube from a guy that uses one all the time. Worth a look if you get time - I think his name is Graham Houghton :)

Dave.

Last edited:
Hi Dave
I’ve watched all Graham Houghton’s videos that is why I decided to get the FZ200 and he is a Lancashire lad from Chorley (just over the hill from me) he is very approachable just email him any questions.
I’ve gone from the Nikon D300s with a 500mm lens and a 1.4 converter and now getting better pictures with the FZ200
I’ve just got some 6 x 4 prints back from DS colour Labs they had been tweaked in CS6 and cropped in very close on a large MB 600mm zoom picture and NIK filters applied and the quality is awesome just like on the monitor
I’m going on some disable rambles so I can try out the camera again
Regards
Clive

Hi Dave

OK thanks

It is like a feather I can keep it hung round my neck and push myself round in the wheelchair

I'm going out tomorrow trying birds in flight at 12 frames a second f4 - 600mm

Regards

Clive

Hi Killwilly
Excellent stills and video I’ll be very happy if I can achieve anything like it
What mode was shooting in for the stills?
Do you give out tips and tricks
Regards
Clive

Hi Killwilly
Excellent stills and video I’ll be very happy if I can achieve anything like it
What mode was shooting in for the stills?
Do you give out tips and tricks
Regards
Clive

Sorry Clive, I don't have your camera. I use a Canon 7D, but after reading your posts, I did a search and found that, which I thought was very good and maybe of some use to you.:)

Alan.

PS, I know what you mean about old age.:(

Back