Reikan Focal ... AF tune on long lenses?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Some while ago I tried Reikan Focal with a couple of Nikon D3S bodies and it wouldn't work with either, for whatever reason.
I see that advances have been made with the software and am considering getting it for use with my 500 f4 lens ... really my eyes aren't as sharp as they were and I feel that a software based tune would probably be best for me.
However my concern is the distance required between lens and target to tune the bare lens and then lens with converters ... bearing in mind that the camera must be tethered to the laptop and the target must be stable to get a good result, how is this best achieved with a long lens?
It certainly won't work in my lounge and my garden is uphill?
Anyone used it on a long lens like a 500 and care to say how you did it, where you did it and how successful it was for you?

I use it on both my 300 and 600 and both converters and very happy with the results.. I am very fortunate that I can use our function room at work, it's not great light wise but I use a 500 watt work light. I also recommend using their large printed target.. I found doing it yourself gave me uneven prints, inaccurate results.

I bluetac the large target on a wall roughly the right height, then I offer up the lens on a table NOT tripod. And then I use boards to higher or lower to get the correct height. For the 600 I'm at about 12m. When I'm happy it's all nicely setup I begin the test, I do both bodies on each lens / converter combo.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jason, 12m isn't too bad, I was thinking it needed more than that :)

Back