Reikan Focal settings with Sigma usb dock

Name
terry
Edit My Images
Yes
A question for Canon users with regard to settings to be used with the Sigma usb dock for my Sigma 150-600 C I spent part of today as the weather was ok to setup my Siggy AF with the Focal software. My questions is with Nikon cameras my understanding is that the you take the readings from Focal and them double the value as an example say at 400mm Focal give a value of -2 so you would use -4. But is it the same with Canon bodies?

Thanks

Why would you not just use the settings Focal gives you on the camera?

If the settings are in the body then you don't need to change anything on the lens.

Why would you not just use the settings Focal gives you on the camera?

If the settings are in the body then you don't need to change anything on the lens.
Using the dock to alter the lens allows you to set up different focal lengths, but the camera doesn't.

Using the dock to alter the lens allows you to set up different focal lengths, but the camera doesn't.

Does that work with the TC as well? eg say Focal says it needs -2 @ 600mm, if Focal then said it needed -4 @ 600mm with the TC (ie 840mm with the 1.4) can you set that seperately?

Does that work with the TC as well? eg say Focal says it needs -2 @ 600mm, if Focal then said it needed -4 @ 600mm with the TC (ie 840mm with the 1.4) can you set that seperately?
I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid. Maybe someone else will know. :)

A question for Canon users with regard to settings to be used with the Sigma usb dock for my Sigma 150-600 C I spent part of today as the weather was ok to setup my Siggy AF with the Focal software. My questions is with Nikon cameras my understanding is that the you take the readings from Focal and them double the value as an example say at 400mm Focal give a value of -2 so you would use -4. But is it the same with Canon bodies?

Thanks
I did some looking into this after reading a few posts about this. Several people said just set it as it is. I haven't managed to do mine yet. But when I do I'll be setting it to the focal figures

I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid. Maybe someone else will know. :)

The camera will just allow 1 setting for without a TC and 1 for with a TC, (though separate for each different TC) .
The Sigma dock setting will be for each focal length on the lens alone, so I see no way of you being able to set it for the full range of options for TC's and no TC.

It seems no definitive answer on the net as to the settings on Canon cameras if you need to double the reading as suggested for Nikon cameras.

I have set my lens a double the reading focal have given me but I have put the numbers in a spreadsheet for future reference. Will try and get out after work this week to see real life effect on the changes.

I had a nikon user use the software with me when I set up the software it is a bit more of a faff with Nikon cameras than using the automated set up in the pro version for Canon. Overall though I think the software is a great bit of kit that is worth the money.

Last edited:
The camera will just allow 1 setting for without a TC and 1 for with a TC, (though separate for each different TC) .
The Sigma dock setting will be for each focal length on the lens alone, so I see no way of you being able to set it for the full range of options for TC's and no TC.

Don't know about Nikon but on my Canons I can set a 'near' and 'far' setting for zooms - so 2 settings for the lens on its own and 2 settings of each TC.

Don't know about Nikon but on my Canons I can set a 'near' and 'far' setting for zooms - so 2 settings for the lens on its own and 2 settings of each TC.
Yes, I remember now but not on Nikons :)

From memory when I attached the dock to a lens and tc combo it shows as a different lens

From memory when I attached the dock to a lens and tc combo it shows as a different lens
So does it record the different settings (with/without TC) in the lens itself via the dock?

Back