'Reliable' makes of memory cards (CF)

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I've a couple of memory cards at the moment, 2 x 8GB Lexar CF and never had a problem. I've also used Sandisk in the past and they've been reliable too.
I've a job coming up (expenses only as i'm still a novice, and it's for a friend) that requires me being out from midday till 9pm, so im looking to add another higher capacity CF card, 16GB possibly 32GB. but as i have a very limited budget i'm wondering if it's wise to use a different, less expensive brand of card.
I've seen Kingston and transcend have 16GB CF's for around the £15-£25 range.
I won't need a particular fast card, as the job is for a friends theatre group so it'll be portrait type shots. And as its a festival i'll be taking pics all day of everything and anything to get some well needed experience!

Last edited:
Get your friend to buy you a card as part of the deal?

Sandisk

I have a pile of 16GB 600x Duracell CF cards and used them a lot in a pair of D3 bodies without any problems. There's some threads a while back going over all the read/write speeds etc. I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

The cheaper cards can be just as good as the expensive brands, as a matter of fact most of the cheaper brands are also good, but you never know which ones are good and which ones are not. I'd get a brandname card, if safety matters (which it usually does with photos).

I'm using Sandisk now and have used Kingston in the past, both without any problems other than a couple of fake Kingston's.

I think where you buy from matters as much as which brand you buy (assuming you buy a 'mainstream' brand). Having been previously bitten, I would never buy from Ebay or from Amazon Marketplace.

To get price into perspective, look at the difference in price between your various options and then divide by however many images you are likely to store on it during its lifetime.

My Sandisk card have been fine so far too. I also once had a tip that it might be wise to have more smaller capacity cards, so you're not putting 'all your eggs in one basket' in case anything does go wrong!

Last edited:
Here it is:

I bought a stack of 16GB Duracell 600x CF cards and they've performed flawlessly so far. Nice and fast as well, they quote 90MB/s but this is read speed, although I did some tests using CrystalDiskMark and the write speeds were also fast. I did a thread on it all somewhere.

Here's the 16GB
Here's the 8GB

Here's the thread: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=416535&highlight=duracell

Although I'm now using an updated card reader so I should probably re-do the tests but I was comparing both the Sandisk and Duracell on the same card reader, with the Duracell being faster so presumably if I had a card reader that could read faster then they'd both go up proportionately.

and the whole thread but the linked thread in the above quote shows the speed tests, but it's worth noting that I didn't have a great card reader at the time - so the actual speeds will all be lower across the board but it's still good for comparison reasons.

Last edited:
My Sandisk card have been fine so far too. I also once had a tip that it might be wise to have more smaller capacity cards, so you're not putting 'all your eggs in one basket' in case anything does go wrong!

One of my fakes failed when we were in Guatemala. I went to check the image of an iguana that I'd just taken on a 2GB card and found that it wouldn't display. As it happened, I only lost two images on the card but if I hadn't checked when I did then almost the whole day's images would have been lost and I wouldn't have been able to go back and get them again!

Had I been using a large capacity card I may not have discovered the problem for a few days!

I've got a couple of Kingston 8gb and a transcend and lo and behold 7dayshop 32gb's which work very well in D300 & D800 and they aren't expensive. Worth a shot!

I have used quite a few Kingston cards and never had any problems with them :) Only cheaper (not Kingston branded ;)) had i ever had any problems with on SD cards so now just with SD cards im more paranoid and will buy higher spec Sandisk models yet im quite happy with just using Kingston for CF cards :thinking::LOL:

Delkin Devices
Sandisk
Lexar
Fuji
Transcend

Use them all never had a problem with any

There is certainly no advantage in paying over the odds for Sandisk/Lexar on normal speed cards.

Last edited:
Back