Reliable methods to get images ready to print - always too dark

Can any of the gurus advise on practicality of using histogram of images to check brightness when using non calibrated monitor ?
My monitor's is set to very bright - the way I like it, and I tend to check brightness of image using histogram when posting on line.
Thoughts ?

All the histogram is doing is informing you as to where the tones fall across the sensor's dynamic range for that ISO. It gives no visual idea of what the image actually "looks" like. You don't set your monitor to how you "like" it, you set it so it's correct. What you like isn't important. What you like may be wrong. In fact, if you have it set very bright, it almost certainly IS wrong. The histogram will tell you if you have clipped highlights or shadows... not much more really. It can't allow you to "see" the image.

You ask for advice, so here it is. Stop setting your monitor as you like it, and set it accurately instead. If you can't afford, or don't want to calibrate it properly, at least go here and set it visually. Most monitors (unless worn out) when calibrated rarely need brightness more than 40 or 50% though. If you've got yours cranked up high, then it's almost certainly too bright unless you're editing in a room with massive windows and sunlight streaming in... which case.. draw the blinds! The only accurate way to judge how bright the screen is though, is to use a calibrator. around 100cd/m2 is average for most rooms with medium to subdued lighting, which is what you should be working in.

Last edited:
Back