Reluctant Flower Girl

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
No matter how hard I tried and her Mum this little "darling" would not co-operate all day. This was the BEST of about ten attempts!

reluctant.jpg

Don't you just love em, having said that I think you have captured how she was on the day.
Hope you don't mind but i had a play ... she just seemed lost in the frame, a little dark and the background was a bit busy round her head...
snapalot.jpg

Last edited:
what a cutey , its a smashing pic i just love the look on her face :)

Hope you don't mind but I quite fancied a wee dabble with this one as well! I quite like the composition as it emphasises how 'ickle she is!

On to the photo, I reckon that apart from a slight lift and a gentle sharpen to bring her out of the background a little the this one is a good one! The sharpening definitely helps lift her out also, especially around the hair section. Will probably look a lot better for you when editing the original image.

Here's my effort (original on left - I had to reduce slightly to get both in side by side at 800px)

flower%20girl.jpg

And here's what I did if it's of any interest:

1. Open in Photoshop

2. Image / Adjustments / Levels (or hit Ctrl-L)

I noticed a tiny part was blown but not to worry, to give the photo a wee lift:

3. In levels I moved the far right slider (below the input levels graph) and moved it to the left until it almost reaches the start of the highlights (value was about 230). Don't worry about the small amount of info on the far right being lost as it's hardly anything and some of it is blown anyway.

4. Then I moved the middle slider to the left a little - just a little bit though (to about 1.15)

5. Image / Mode / Lab Colour

6. Window / Channels

7. Where your layers are normally shown should now be the channels. Make sure only the "Lightness" is highlighted (reason being that by only sharpening the Lightness channel, you can avoid creating those nasty colour artefacts that come with sharpening sometimes).

8. Filter / Sharpens / Unsharp Mask

9. I did 150% with a radius of 1 and a threshold of 4. But then I was working on a reduced and compressed image so you may want to play about here.

10. Image / Mode / RGB

11. Open an ice cold bottle of Bud '66' :beer: and hope it's liked!

:)

Hope you don't mind but I quite fancied a wee dabble with this one as well! I quite like the composition as it emphasises how 'ickle she is!

On to the photo, I reckon that apart from a slight lift and a gentle sharpen to bring her out of the background a little the this one is a good one! The sharpening definitely helps lift her out also, especially around the hair section. Will probably look a lot better for you when editing the original image.

Here's my effort (original on left - I had to reduce slightly to get both in side by side at 800px)

flower%20girl.jpg

And here's what I did if it's of any interest:

1. Open in Photoshop

2. Image / Adjustments / Levels (or hit Ctrl-L)

I noticed a tiny part was blown but not to worry, to give the photo a wee lift:

3. In levels I moved the far right slider (below the input levels graph) and moved it to the left until it almost reaches the start of the highlights (value was about 230). Don't worry about the small amount of info on the far right being lost as it's hardly anything and some of it is blown anyway.

4. Then I moved the middle slider to the left a little - just a little bit though (to about 1.15)

5. Image / Mode / Lab Colour

6. Window / Channels

7. Where your layers are normally shown should now be the channels. Make sure only the "Lightness" is highlighted (reason being that by only sharpening the Lightness channel, you can avoid creating those nasty colour artefacts that come with sharpening sometimes).

8. Filter / Sharpens / Unsharp Mask

9. I did 150% with a radius of 1 and a threshold of 4. But then I was working on a reduced and compressed image so you may want to play about here.

10. Image / Mode / RGB

11. Open an ice cold bottle of Bud '66' :beer: and hope it's liked!

:)

I like this edit, with no disrespect to Stuart I actually preferred the original, but yours brings out the best in the image. Fair play for sharing how you did it as well (y)

With or without the edit, it's a great capture, well done.

best method I have found with dealing with stroppy kids at weddings, get them behind the photo taking a couple of photos of people, show them the image and then ask them to model. Usually works :)

best method I have found with dealing with stroppy kids at weddings, get them behind the photo taking a couple of photos of people, show them the image and then ask them to model. Usually works

Great tip! (y)

Great image to start, brilliant piece of editing advice also, thanks for sharing

I love it just as it is, beats a boring old cheesy smile any day, it shows her personality. ;) I also really like the composition too.

Back