Remember This Tragedy..**Thread contains disturbing images**

Ever thought that someone that now sees that picture might know someone that is at the front of that crowd? Have any of you put yourself in their postion for one moment?

Maybe some people come on here to relax and think about other things rather than all the crap in the world. Some people dont need disasters dragging back up to remember them.

it's quite clear from the header that there are disturbing images in it. If people want to relax and don't want to see disturbing images, then they don't click on the link. Simple. :)

It's a photography forum. It's a photograph. It means something to some people and evokes memories and emotions from people - be they bad or good. If there was anyone who knew someone in one of those photographs then I'm sure that although it wouldn't be nice, it would be comforting to know that they are not being forgotten. That's how I see it anyways.

It's a photography forum. It's a photograph. It means something to some people and evokes memories and emotions from people - be they bad or good....

The same could be said for a voyeuristic shot of someone naked on a beach or in a garden.

I think we need to be careful here...maybe post a link rather than the image with a warning that faces are clearly identifiable.

Sorry if that's the opposite to your viewpoint but a different opinion is good for debate and reflection.

Bob

it's quite clear from the header that there are disturbing images in it. If people want to relax and don't want to see disturbing images, then they don't click on the link. Simple. :)

It's a photography forum. It's a photograph. It means something to some people and evokes memories and emotions from people - be they bad or good. If there was anyone who knew someone in one of those photographs then I'm sure that although it wouldn't be nice, it would be comforting to know that they are not being forgotten. That's how I see it anyways.

Amen.

The same could be said for a voyeuristic shot of someone naked on a beach or in a garden.

I think we need to be careful here...maybe post a link rather than the image with a warning that faces are clearly identifiable.

Sorry if that's the opposite to your viewpoint but a different opinion is good for debate and reflection.

Bob

Don't apologise, it's a good point. However I do think the thread title is clear enough, but yes - a link would work too and would avoid any issues such as that raised by people earlier on. :)

On the home page you dont see all the title

Plus comforting to see a loved one suffocating?...please get real

You know very well that's not what I meant. The pictures were in a national newspaper so it's not like they are on here for the first time they are ever seen.

I knew people there that day, so for me that's about as real as it gets. I also know several people who lost their family members there that day, so i think I know how they'd take it. If they crumpled every time they saw a photograph they'd never be able to move on with their lives. As I said, it wouldn't be nice, but it happened and they have accepted that, seen the pictures, watched the video and moved on.

Plus comforting to see a loved one suffocating?...please get real

Sounds like you need to logout, back away from the computer and send it back to pc world, you are not ready for the internet.

Kitten, don't feed the troll, 12 year old's are a mare :)

Not all images are pretty and comfortable and we cannot ignore the provocative intent of some images, remember the images from Vietnam war that helped stop the war, not pretty but neccessary. This image may be a little close to home and in living memory. A link would probably have been a better option.

Not all images are pretty and comfortable and we cannot ignore the provocative intent of some images, remember the images from Vietnam war that helped stop the war, not pretty but neccessary. This image may be a little close to home and in living memory. A link would probably have been a better option.

I don't see how that would've made a difference? People come in the thread to see the picture, surely if it was a link they would've clicked it. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered entering the thread.

Mr Kelvin Mackenzie. I live a few doors away from one of the youngest victims. Young Adam was a really nice boy, as are the rest of his family. And what that man wrote about him and the other 95 that died, was absolutely disgusting. He is a disgrace to his profession.
Wasn't he the editor and not the writer? The article suggested that there were fans robbing those who lay dead and injured didn't it?

I don't see how that would've made a difference? People come in the thread to see the picture, surely if it was a link they would've clicked it. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered entering the thread.

Maybe your right, but then they would have had the choice. (y)

horendous time, im a bit too young to remember it first hand but things like this dont get forgotten.

images like that should be seen, at the time they were highly moving and got images like that to the people, ensuring that something had to be done to prevent events like that happening ever again

that picture also says one other thing to me, i could never be a press photographer, i could not stand there and snap away with my camera while those events unfolded, i would be trying to help those people.

Pictures convey stories. Surely thats why we love photography. Sometimes they are sad stories that need to be told.
An example that i have always remembered from being young was this one:http://www.peace.ca/kimstory.htm

So much so, as I got older I had to read the book because that picture stayed in my mind as I grew up.
It won the photographer a Pulitzer.

Unfortunately the world and time are full of horrors.

@Kevshore, that is possibly still the most visually and politically powerful image that i have ever seen and i'm willing to bet that millions of upcoming photographers aren't even aware that it exsists. History should be learned from not forgotten as in the case of the original image i posted.

Hillsborough is a very emotive subject. :(

My 2 brothers were there, and I had a very disturbing couple of hours when a neighbour knocked on the door to tell me what was happening, and that someone had seen my younger brother, then 10, on the TV.

I had no idea what part of the ground they were in, it's not something you ask as they are leaving the house after all. Luckily they were in one of the stands at the side of the pitch. A young chap who lived a few hundred metres from where we lived didn't come back, so even though my brothers were OK, it was still very much close to home, so to speak.

There were a lot of lies after event, most notably by the Sun (SCUM) newspaper (misnamed totally btw) which I have never touched since, and a lot of other people in Liverpool feel the same way. I won't repeat the lies they perpetrated, as Liverpool already has a bad reputation in a lot of people minds. And the cover up, and apportioning of blame is a National Disgrace.

I must say I didn't look at the picture closely, just the headline.

A member has raised the very valid point that this image could cause great distress to any relatives or friends of the more identifiable people in the image who may well have been amongst those who lost their lives.

For this reason, and after discussion with Admin, I've broken the IMG tags just leaving the clickable link. With the warning now added to the thread title, and the fact that two mouse clicks are now required to see the image, we feel that this is sufficient warning for anyone who doesn't want to see the image or who may be upset by it.

i remember hillsbrough, even tho im not an old man like CT i was only8 but i remember it being a liverpool fan. may they restg in peace. and may it never happen again.

Ashers - I seem to remember seeing comments about your sig a few weeks ago. In this thread it stands out as being totally inappropriate.

hi all, not being English or anything, and having just seen this, would anyone be able to elaborate on this event? Any details would be appreciated, as it seems like a very important thing to know, etc. Thanks

hi all, not being English or anything, and having just seen this, would anyone be able to elaborate on this event? Any details would be appreciated, as it seems like a very important thing to know, etc. Thanks

Wikipedia is probably a good place to look, and the links at the bottom of the wiki page too.

Its something I very very barely remember. Not enough that I remember all the details surrounding it, just that I remember it on the news and things. I was 11, so I should have remembered it better. I chose to document it last year and through simply doing so it had quite an effect on me. Its a part of Liverpool I hadn't seen. I still see the "Don't buy the Sun" stickers around fully understand why now. I'll be going back again this year as I missed part of it last year. It is quite hard to take photographs there though, but I decided last year that it was important to document. I couldn't raise my camera to people crying though, and as important a photo as that is on the paper I know I couldn't take it. It is an important image, as horrific as it is, I do feel that people need to see these things so they don't happen again.

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are my testimony. The events I have recorded should not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

-James Nachtwey-

I dont see how those images are distgusting etc
Its a photo.
My uncle and Auntie were at the place when it happened, but luvkily they were sat at the other side

Its something I very very barely remember. Not enough that I remember all the details surrounding it, just that I remember it on the news and things. I was 11, so I should have remembered it better. I chose to document it last year and through simply doing so it had quite an effect on me. Its a part of Liverpool I hadn't seen. I still see the "Don't buy the Sun" stickers around fully understand why now. I'll be going back again this year as I missed part of it last year. It is quite hard to take photographs there though, but I decided last year that it was important to document. I couldn't raise my camera to people crying though, and as important a photo as that is on the paper I know I couldn't take it. It is an important image, as horrific as it is, I do feel that people need to see these things so they don't happen again.

The quote expresses my feeling entirely !!

Well I haven't seen the picture but then I don't need to as I can remember the tragic events unfurl as I listened to the radio at work, but there is something which after all this time I just can't comprehend. One of my work colleagues son went to the game and survived leppings lane only to lose his life in a car accident on the way home. Life unfortunately can be very very cruel and it does play on my mind frequently.

Regards
Tim

A tragic event. And still very fresh in the mind of the modern Liverpool.

OP - An excellent photo imo, provocative, poignant, emotional. Life and death. It does exactly what it should do, it gives a first person account of one of Englands greatest sporting tragedies. I don't find it to be the least bit offensive. This is the 'real world', and a major role of the photographer is to document, and to allow those who aren't there to witness events and give the ability to form judgments etc.
I suggest that those people who are offended by this image take a long hard look around. A blinkered existence isn't all it's cracked up to be...

God, I remember watching this as it happened...

Horrible, horrible, horrible....

Images and stories like this prove, that even though some football fans are seen as thugs and hooligans, not all of us deserve to be tarred with the same brush. The people who helped by saving people, donating money to the families etc. were from every walk of life, but it was the football fans that felt it the most. Yes it affected people all over, but when it is something you love so much being ruined by something so terrible, it affects you a little more than the every day man on the street. God was deffinitley not on football's side this day. I lost a friend at the Heisell Stadium Disaster, it has haunted me ever since.

Back