Remote camera trigger help

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Evening all,

I’m looking for a bit of advice. I should probably be able to find it myself but I feel like I’m going round in circles with what I’m looking for.

I’m looking to shoot a sporting event using two cameras - with the second camera being static, a distance away from me and fired every time I press the actual shutter button on my main camera. I understand that PocketWizard’s are the go to for this but they’re probably out of my price range. I’m shooting with two Nikons.
Can anyone recommend a more budget alternative?
I’m looking to fire my main camera as usual - with the shutter button on the camera opposed to a handheld remote.

thanks, daniel

Hi Daniel and welcome to TP.

I can't answer your question other to say like you I understand Pocket Wizards to be a product of choice for such usages.

There are various folk here that may have experience to say what they use and whether that is a more budget worthy option?

The cheaper Chinese "poverty wizards" such as Yongnuo seem to work ok

Maybe I can help. I can not only fire off two nikon cameras but also remote flashes with one trigger

What I use are ( MAY BE NEWER VERSIONS NOW)

_DSC4508ab.jpg

then that trigger when the receivers are on the same frequency as the trigger, that trigger will fire both cameras.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USING FLASH GUNS WITH THE ABOVE

I also use PIxel King transmitter and receivers to fire the flash as well all done with the phottix trigger

_DSC4516a.jpg
so the whole setup looks like this

P1010027a.jpg

so now not only does one trigger fire off 2 cameras but also multi flashguns in any setup'
The advantage of using Pixel Kings to fire off the cameras but also have a through connection to allow a flashgum on top as shown on the right hand camera. pocket wizard and not many others can do this which is why I got Pixel king. they will activate up to 300 mtrs away so have a good range (I tested them and they do work at that distance)

link where i got mine. That should give you a start on building up a kit like mine. make sure you order nikon, they ballsed up on my second order so sent back and got what i ordered

Last edited:
Good Evening all,

I’m looking for a bit of advice. I should probably be able to find it myself but I feel like I’m going round in circles with what I’m looking for.

I’m looking to shoot a sporting event using two cameras - with the second camera being static, a distance away from me and fired every time I press the actual shutter button on my main camera. I understand that PocketWizard’s are the go to for this but they’re probably out of my price range. I’m shooting with two Nikons.
Can anyone recommend a more budget alternative?
I’m looking to fire my main camera as usual - with the shutter button on the camera opposed to a handheld remote.

thanks, daniel

It's easy, and you don't need to go anywhere near the cost of Pocket Wizards. Pretty much any radio transmitter/receiver set will do, eg Yongnuo RF-603. The only tricky bit is deciding the best way, and getting the right cables for the right connections.

What exactly is it that you want to do? What cameras are involved? Do they have co-ax sync sockets? What distance and situation? Flash? Will there be anything already in the hot-shoe? Must the cameras be in exact sync or will a few milliseconds between them not matter?

Pretty much any radio transmitter/receiver set will do, eg Yongnuo RF-603.

I don't often disagree with you Hoppy but I will make this an exception.

There are actually very few triggers on the market that will do what has been requested; ie trigger the remote shutter via the hotshoe (or at least via a cable) when the Tx camera's
shutter release is pressed.

Take Yongnuos.

The RF 602 will do it. But the 603 won't. However the later hybrid 603 MkII will do it when operating in 602 mode.

Virtually no trigger that passes TTL (of whichever variety) will work - and that covers most of the models available today.

It's an absolute minefield.

I don't often disagree with you Hoppy but I will make this an exception.

There are actually very few triggers on the market that will do what has been requested; ie trigger the remote shutter via the hotshoe (or at least via a cable) when the Tx camera's
shutter release is pressed.

Take Yongnuos.

The RF 602 will do it. But the 603 won't. However the later hybrid 603 MkII will do it when operating in 602 mode.

Virtually no trigger that passes TTL (of whichever variety) will work - and that covers most of the models available today.

It's an absolute minefield.

We're talking about pretty basic radio remote releases here. No mention of TTL or hot-shoes.

The basic requirements are simple - extract a firing signal from the first camera, via the co-ax out (or hot-shoe). Send that signal to a receiver plugged into the remote socket of the second camera. And that's it - though there will be a tiny delay in the second camera's shutter opening this way. It's easy enough with most triggers, providing you have the right connecting cables (some triggers come with a selection to cover most eventualities).

It’s been a while since I set this up and I do recall it being much trickier than expected and the reason why I kept some old youngno rf602s as they worked. I had expected Godox TX / RX to work however it could be they didn’t if the receiver was sitting in the hotshoe.

If we're all agreed that Yongnuo RF-602 will do the trick, they are still available on eBay for £25.

This, with the little transmitter unit in the first camera's hot-shoe, and the receiver plugged into the second camera's remote socket. It has a cold-shoe so can go in the hot-shoe for convenience or just dangle:

and either this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF-602-Y...412577?hash=item19baef1321:g:ihkAAOSwj0NUdtJJ

OR this, depending on the second camera's remote release socket:

Hi everyone,

Sorry for such a late reply.
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I followed up on HoppyUK's suggestion and it's exactly what I was looking for (at a decent price). Got a football game this weekend so going to give it a try out there.
Thanks again for the help everyone.

Cheers, daniel

PS I've added a couple more triggers. I could not find 602s so got the 605 which can operate in 602 mode. Works perfectly.

Back