Remote Control Release for Nikon Camera! What's the best?

Name
Anna
Edit My Images
No
Advice much appreciated! :help:

I got this from Jessops today...
A hahnel HRN 280 with autofocus, shutter release.........

Worked for the first 5 mins......then died on me. :(
Rang Jessops back & the guy who assisted me said I would have been better with the Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control. Why didn't they say that when I was there!

Wish I'd asked you lot first! :|

Last edited:
I got a china remote release from eBay. Looks like the proper Nikon and was £5. Works no probs

Thanks guys!

I like that Hama one.......great reviews!

Need it for tomorrow though! :(

I know Jessops won't have it in stock but there if a family business camera shop out of town........Ill go & have a look now!

Thanks again! :)

I got this one and it works brill!! Either as a remote for the camera or as a slave for the flash - reasonable price, delivery was in around 3 working days. Came with the batteries too and two cables (for the d300 and one to a studio light)...

I'd recommend this one. Used over the weekend too.
(btw that was on normal delivery - think there was a faster option)

Last edited:
I got this one and it works brill!! Either as a remote for the camera or as a slave for the flash - reasonable price, delivery was in around 3 working days. Came with the batteries too and two cables (for the d300 and one to a studio light)...

I'd recommend this one. Used over the weekend too.
(btw that was on normal delivery - think there was a faster option)

Hi
Just had a quick look, It looks great but it doesnt say its compatible with the
D7000!!!
:thinking:

Sorry for all the Questions.............
How's your remote release?
Are you pleased with it?
Were they quick with delivery?

What Nikon camera(s) do you have?
(y)

It works like a dream.

I have D7000 and D5100.

Would I recommend it, NO, I don't recommend anything. It's up to you to make your own mind up, but I'm over the moon with it. (y)

The two bits, transmitter is 70mm x 32mm x 15mm and the receiver 70mm x 30mm x 20mm.

Delivery was quick.

D in W

Last edited:
Advice much appreciated! :help:

I got this from Jessops today...
A hahnel HRN 280 with autofocus, shutter release.........

Worked for the first 5 mins......then died on me. :(
Rang Jessops back & the guy who assisted me said I would have been better with the Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control. Why didn't they say that when I was there!

Wish I'd asked you lot first! :|

I just bought the hahnel HRC 280 for my canon 30D. Got 2 test shots with it then nothing. It will autofocus but obviously completely useless without releasing the shutter.

Anyone looking for a remote shutter release, avoid this one! Complete rubbish!!

Oh and the reason for him advising you on the hahnel rather than the nikon will be a far greater markup on the hahnel.

Last edited:
I've got the Nikon ML-L3 remote, never let me down and good basic bit of kit. With 3rd party you always run the risk that it will not work!

I had an ml-l3, and lost it :( not before I tried it against a generic eBay remote. Result? No difference at all.

Also have a generic eBay timer remote for d90 that plugs into the gps connector... Cost peanuts, works just fine :)

Hi
Just had a quick look, It looks great but it doesnt say its compatible with the
D7000!!!
:thinking:

Yeah I noticed that - glad you got one you are happy with (the other one :D)

Will see if a colleague who has the d7000 will try out the remote as I believe the d7000 has a hot shoe... maybe just missing the plug bit (so off camera flash might work, but remote perhaps not...)

I have two 3rd party remote releases (infrared)

Both are cheapo £2.00 jobs of Ebay and not had a problem with either

Hi Guys, i have just bought a used Nikon D7000, with what i think is a ML-L3 remote (looks the same).

How do i set the camera to fire from the remote?

sevendayshop do a cheap wireless flash trigger that comes with a cable to turn it into a camera trigger instead, amazon do the ml-3 equivalent at a fraction of the price and it looks exactly like the nikon one, works ok, but I honestly doesn't use it, i prefer to use a wired remote for tripod work ( which I got of ebay less than £5 )

CrazeUK said:
Hi Guys, i have just bought a used Nikon D7000, with what i think is a ML-L3 remote (looks the same).

How do i set the camera to fire from the remote?

You need to set the bottom of the two dials which are on the top left of the camera to the little remote symbol (think it's the next to last one on the right but I don't have my camera with me right now). The shutter should then trigger via the remote. You can adjust the time delay for firing the shutter in the menu. Just remember to turn the dial back afterwards - I forget sometimes and then wonder why my camera won't take a photo!

Hope this helps

Puddle

Last edited:
You need to set the bottom of the two dials which are on the top left of the camera to the little remote symbol (think it's the next to last one). The camera should then fire via the remote. You can adjust the time delay for firing the shutter in the menu. Just remember to turn the dial back afterwards - I forget sometimes and then wonder why my camera won't take a photo!

Hope this helps

Puddle

Great.. Yay!

Thanks for that.

Now i have to figure out how i Know that the cam is ready to take a pic without accidentally pointing my hand to it! lol

sevendayshop do a cheap wireless flash trigger that comes with a cable to turn it into a camera trigger instead, amazon do the ml-3 equivalent at a fraction of the price and it looks exactly like the nikon one, works ok, but I honestly doesn't use it, i prefer to use a wired remote for tripod work ( which I got of ebay less than £5 )

Any particular reason you ise a wired one?

Any particular reason you ise a wired one?

I can stand behind and do bulb or be looking through view and press button without trying to aim IR ( I have D5000 , ir sensor on front ), and I dont have to switch modes in camera.

I have a 7dayshop wireless remote which plugs into the same socket as the wired one and has bigger range + it can have multiple slaves to trigger flashes

Back