Remote mechanical shutter release?

Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know if it’s possible to remotely trigger a mechanical shutter? I.e. using a radio signal from a distance of, say, 30 metres? I’ll re-phrase the question: are there any commercially available triggers?...I realise I could create something by hacking a meccano set!

I’ve been thinking how nice it would be if I could capture myself and the missus within a landscape, without us having to run like mad in the ten seconds available before the self timer runs down :)

Ideally I’d like something I could use with a standard cable release socket.

Any ideas?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to remotely trigger a mechanical shutter? I.e. using a radio signal from a distance of, say, 30 metres? I’ll re-phrase the question: are there any commercially available triggers?...I realise I could create something by hacking a meccano set!

I’ve been thinking how nice it would be if I could capture myself and the missus within a landscape, without us having to run like mad in the ten seconds available before the self timer runs down :)

Ideally I’d like something I could use with a standard cable release socket.

Any ideas?

Really long cable release?

There are the autoknips timed release units but again, they will probably only give you 10 seconds as they’re designed for cameras with no inbuilt self timer.

The longest mechanical shutter releases are the pneumatic type. I don't know how long they make them; the longest ones I've found are 20 feet.

Edit: Kaiser make a 10m one (32 feet).

Last edited:
...I realise I could create something by hacking a meccano set!

Somebody already has, its called the any camera shutter release, not a wireless release, its something that can be programmed to activate/deactivate at any time and for any length of time.
Anyway, it looked like a box of meccano flavoured maplin bits, and at £150 I gave it a miss.
Its not easy to find an electronic interface for a mech shutter release socket, Stephens pneumatic bulb is the best option for a remote release

Thanks guys. I thought I was asking for something tricky. I guess I’ll stick to running like hell or just taking photos of the missus!

Thanks guys. I thought I was asking for something tricky. I guess I’ll stick to running like hell or just taking photos of the missus!

HuH What lens are you using as I took loads of portrait shots (with missus) and very small groups with my RB67 with 180 and 65mm lens using the pneumatic bulb.....without getting it out and uncoiling it, I would guess it must be at least 20ft

HuH What lens are you using as I took loads of portrait shots (with missus) and very small groups with my RB67 with 180 and 65mm lens using the pneumatic bulb.....without getting it out and uncoiling it, I would guess it must be at least 20ft

The next time we go away I’ll likely be using the 45mm on the Xpan and 80mm on the 503.

I’m not trying to take standard portraits where we would fill, say, 50% of the frame, but rather have us ‘embedded’ in the landscape, if that makes sense?

I’m not trying to take standard portraits where we would fill, say, 50% of the frame, but rather have us ‘embedded’ in the landscape, if that makes sense?

Ah Looks like you have about 10 secs to sprint away to get into the picture as this one up to 32 secs is £249 plus :eek:

timer.jpg
..and some useless info:- Some lovely cheap timers for digi o_O :film:

Seriously, £250? How can any reasonable person [seller] arrive at that value for what is essentially a glorified ****ing egg timer!

You can buy fully functioning, FPS video, stabilised drones, with radio gear for ~£50. How can this piece of unmentionable cost £250? ( I know, I know, the drones sell thousands, whereas these sell in the tens at best, yada yada yada)

This could be done with a simple servo, some form of single channel radio controller, and some really simple electronics for next to nothing these days.

Seriously, £250? How can any reasonable person [seller] arrive at that value for what is essentially a glorified ****ing egg timer!

You can buy fully functioning, FPS video, stabilised drones, with radio gear for ~£50. How can this piece of unmentionable cost £250? ( I know, I know, the drones sell thousands, whereas these sell in the tens at best, yada yada yada)

This could be done with a simple servo, some form of single channel radio controller, and some really simple electronics for next to nothing these days.

Well who cares about film cameras :( Some of the more modern slr film cameras can have a command\data back with adjustable timers...the T90 has one e.g. http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canont90/htmls/cmnback.htm

I did wonder about using a cheap R/C transmitter and a servo but that introduces the (very real) risk of "shooting down" any R/C aircraft using the same frequency within range. Of course a wired option could be rigged up, eliminating the radio connection. Just needs a suitable solenoid, a battery and a switch.

Ok - if you think that's expensive, here's an actual wireless release that meets the original requirements:

http://www.kapturegroup.com/kap_htmls/electronic_cable.html

It is a little bit on the expensive side at $895 though!

I did wonder about using a cheap R/C transmitter and a servo but that introduces the (very real) risk of "shooting down" any R/C aircraft using the same frequency within range. Of course a wired option could be rigged up, eliminating the radio connection. Just needs a suitable solenoid, a battery and a switch.

Almost all r/c aircraft kit is in the 2.4 ghz range and digitally binded controller to receiver these days, rather than the old .05 MHz channel separation that 27mhz relied on.

h'mm with all these silly prices an complications using a film camera (if you don't want to use air bulb release) why not just use a digi for particular shots o_O :(

h'mm with all these silly prices an complications using a film camera (if you don't want to use air bulb release) why not just use a digi for particular shots o_O :(

Because Brian, its not as much fun. :D

Also, I expect a digital camera using the XPan format is expensive (post 7). More expensive than the analogue alternatives for a long release.

I'm wondering of something can be done with a remote-controlled mains switch. I use these in my workshop for switching on sockets and lamps at individual workbenches, and they work well...

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/remote-controlled-mains-socket-set-single-n78ka

It's intended for mains, but I'd assume the internal circuitry runs on a lower voltage. If so, rip the internals out to get rid of the mains socket bits and fit into a smaller box.I suspect the actual mains switching is via a relay because there's a click when it's switched from the remote. So, if the internal voltage it runs from can be replaced by a battery, you'd have the remote switching sorted. All you'd have to do is use the relay to switch a solenoid which is hooked up to a normal cable release. Ideally, a solenoid that uses the same battery that runs the rest of it.

Since the remote has separate on and off buttons, you'd also be able to do time exposures if the camera is set to Bulb.

There are two options that fulfill the OP's requirements. Unfortunately I am a new member on this forum and am not allowed to post links. However if you search for:

Reveni Remote Control Mechanical Shutter Release

Google should take you to the place you're looking for.

Also there is a useful DIY on Instructables that walks you through how to build your own unit. The unit as the designer built it runs about $136 for all the parts, but the designer also provides cheaper alternatives and it looks like you could do it for around $70. Still, it's a project.

To find it go to instructables dot com, search for "wireless mechanical shutter release" and it will be the first result.

I'm waiting on the Reveni to be available again and I will gladly dish out the $$$ to get one.

Good luck!

Back