Remote shutters with good range (~10m+)

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Sony A7IV and hike solo a lot with it so want to take photos of myself easily. I use the Imaging Edge app from Sony to connect to the camera and use the remote shutter but the range is awful and it randomly disconnects all the time. It's every so slightly infuriating. I also use the 10s shutter, but would rather have a remote shutter device if there is an option with good range that isn't big and heavy or crazy expensive. The RMT-P1BT from Sony has a 5m range which is very poor.

Does anyone have any advice? The best option is to not hike solo and get someone else to take the photos, but that's not always practical!

Thanks

I've been using one of those for the last couple of years and it has been great.

Remove the battery in the transmitter when not in use though as there is no off switch and the battery goes flat.

This is an interesting option. My assumption is the RMT-P1BT will probably have a similar range to using my phone with the Sony app, this alternative option likely gives far more range.

I purchased one of the remote shutters as suggested above. It looks a little 80s with the extendable aerial! It works very well though and I just used it on a trip to Norway. I can operate the camera from quite large distances and it's mostly fairly reliable. I can't imagine it will last very long, but for my usage it is proving a worthwhile purchase.

Reactions: Sky
Back