Remote Sunsets

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Do you camp or walk in the dark? Been thinking of a couple of places I'd like to visit this year but not sure which approach I'd favour most, or rather which is the lesser of 2 evils, I'd rather not have to do any of either! Interested in your ideas on the subject all the same.

Last few times I've done sunrises/sunsets i've walked to/from the car in the dark and managed fine with a headtorch and a handheld one as a backup. It's always good to take a walking pole or monopod if the terrain could be difficult and take it slow. I would consider camping if the walk to the location was prohibitively long or if the weather wasn't looking too good though.

Last edited:
Really depends on the length of walk to the location and weather forecast. If the location is a fair walk from the car, then perhaps staying overnight is the better choice. Takes more organising but you can then get a sunset and sunrise all for the price of one journey.

Depends on a few things.

For a sunset at this time of year and if I was going somewhere easy to get to (good path and low level) then I'd probably walk in for the sunset and walk back in the dark.

If the location was a mountain top then I'd be less likely to risk taking a tumble in the dark, so would be inclined walk in early and camp, but that would mean a lot of hours in the tent.

For a winter sunrise I'd probably just get up a bit earlier than normal and walk it. The drawback to this is that early morning winter roads could be a bit dodgy.

During the summer and particularly in the north the nights are so short that it could be worth (given decent weather) walking in late with just enough gear to keep you warm, getting the sunset and then waiting a few hours for the sunrise (assuming the location is good for both).

Dave

I would suggest not going into isolated locations on your own. Take someone with you then at least if one of you takes a tumble in the dark, there's someone else there to go for help.

I walk all over and up and down the Dorset cliffs in the dark, usually alone. It's a risk but if I want the shot badly enough I do it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone though. I have fallen down the cliff at Mupe Bay and Lulworth Cove on the same day. I have quite a few falls a year. Maybe I should stick to studio work?:nono:

Back