Remote timer control issues

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a silly one but i have been at it for ages and unable to get the timer to work on long exposures.

I have a Canon 450D for which i have bought a cheap timer control. The idea was to use it for attempting star trails.

So this is how i have set the camera up.
On manual - Bulb

On the remote.
Delay - 0 seconds
Long - 35 seconds
Interval - 5seconds
n - 3

I have tried to set it according to the manual but it seems to get to the end of the 35s exposure time and it takes a 1 second picture.

Any ideas welcome.

Why not set the camera for 30" exposures, multishot mode (ie. shoots as long as the shuuter release is activated) and use running lock? 5" gaps is possibly going to leave some gapping in the trails...

jason,

i didnt think about doing it that way. I still have not got the darn thing working. what is running lock?

ta

Running lock = whatever you do to hold the shutter release down forever - most remotes have that where you press the manual release button and can slide it to lock it.

So long as the camera is on the multishot shutter release mode (3 stacked squares as opposed to a single square in "drive") then you can just let it do it's thing while you read a book for 10 minutes (or however long)

Ideal Jason, good work around. not just need to work out the settings for 30' exposure.

Thanks

You're probably looking to be in "M", f/4-5.6, ISO 800-1600, 30sec exposure (depending on how much moonshine there is and how much residual from the setting - or rising - sun)

We've had this before. I think the answer was due with some intervalometers the "interval" is being measured from the start of the first exposure to the start of the second (not the gap). So 35 second exposures at 5 second intervals resulted in non-sensical sequences of instructions being sent to the camera.

To rule this out, with camera on Bulb try 5 second exposures, 9 second interval and n=10. From the exif work out the actual shutter length and interval you achieve. You can do this with the lenscap on and the image will be irelavant, only the exif will be useful.

We've had this before. I think the answer was due with some intervalometers the "interval" is being measured from the start of the first exposure to the start of the second (not the gap). So 35 second exposures at 5 second intervals resulted in non-sensical sequences of instructions being sent to the camera.

To rule this out, with camera on Bulb try 5 second exposures, 9 second interval and n=10. From the exif work out the actual shutter length and interval you achieve. You can do this with the lenscap on and the image will be irelavant, only the exif will be useful.

Nikon does it like this, a pita!

Back