Removing a print stuck to glass?

Edit My Images
Yes
A lady at work told me that she had an old photo (40 years) that she wanted enlarging but it had become stuck to the glass of the frame that it has been in and was tearing as she was removing it. I told her to soak it in clean luke warm water to release it the hang it up with a couple of bulldog clips and acouple more at the bottom to keep it relatively straight. Have I told her the correct way of doing it? If not could you please let me know the correct way pretty sharpish before she ruins it.

Cheers Paul

Thanks Chaz thats a weight off my mind, I don't know really why I started to think that it wouldn't work but Thanks again. (y)(y)

Assuming it's an RC print, that'll be fine - if it's an older non-coated paper it might wrinkle a bit.
We used print dryers which were in effect, hot-plates with a canvas screen attached which held the paper flat on the plate while it dried. To get 'gloss' prints in those days, you dried the emulsion-side facing down against the shiny plate, to get 'matt', emulsion-side up facing the canvas...if you got the temperature slightly wrong, the emulsion-side would sometimes stick to the plate and rip when you tried to remove it...start again...

It's one of those 'train-spotter' things: when watching movies set pre-1970s, every time they hand round a photo, I look to see if it's on 'old' bromide paper with its characteristic lack of smoothness. 9 times out of 10 it's been printed on modern RC-paper...

It's one of those 'train-spotter' things: when watching movies set pre-1970s, every time they hand round a photo, I look to see if it's on 'old' bromide paper with its characteristic lack of smoothness. 9 times out of 10 it's been printed on modern RC-paper...

Is that the sound of an anorak being fully zipped up I can hear ?

TRAIN+SPOTTER+(BLOG).jpg

Photo shamelessly borrowed from t'interweb by googling trainspotter :D

Given it's age I would definitely recommend making some kind of copy before trying to remove it from the glass. A scan / photo of it might also be good enough to make a new print without risking damage to the original.

Best wishes
Monty

We used print dryers which were in effect, hot-plates with a canvas screen attached which held the paper flat on the plate while it dried. To get 'gloss' prints in those days, you dried the emulsion-side facing down against the shiny plate, to get 'matt', emulsion-side up facing the canvas...if you got the temperature slightly wrong, the emulsion-side would sometimes stick to the plate and rip when you tried to remove it...start again...

Me and my dad got down his development and enlarger stuff from the loft a while ago, he had one of them and described exactly what you said. As he put it it ended up getting very messy if you were not careful.

Back