Removing CA in software (DPP or Photoshop Elements)

Edit My Images
No
Hi all
My first thread having recently purchased a Canon 450.
Still very new to digital SLRs but would welcome some guidance re removal of Chromatic Aberration in software. Although DPP comes bundled with my camera, looks to only allow CA removal if you are using one of the "supported" lenses. My question is, if I buy (say) a Sigma or Tamron to replace my kit lens, I don't think that I will be able to remove CA in DPP. is this correct? If yes, what options do I have? I also use Photoshop Elements version 4 but I can't see if this give me any RAW options with my 450.
Thanks for any assistance.

Hi there are apparently some plug-in bits PSE4 but I took the easy route after hearing that others were having problems and upgraded to PSE7 which handles my Nikon RAW without any problems.

As far as CA goes I have not tried this out, but I found this in the PSE7 help...
Select Filter > Correct Camera Distortion >Vignette

If you have just got some error in the corners it works but if this is your problem - it doesn't fix it.

DSC00034b.jpg

I would also be interested if anyone knows of a tool (or option in PSE) to correct this.

I don't use DPP but have had a quick look at it and it would appear that you can manually correct CA. In the Edit Image dialog there is an option under the NR/Lens tab for Lens Aberration Correction. Click on the Tune... button and another dialog appears. Check the box next to Chromatic Aberration and use the sliders to make any adjustments.
HTH

Hi TwentySixDays - thanks for your comments. The problems envisaged are more like those you have highlighted in red. Hopefully someone else may be able to assist us.
Thanks Happy Haggis. However, I've tried to use the "tune" button for a RAW image taken on one of my old Canon lenses but it remains greyed out (& unavailable). The lens in question is not one of the "supported" lenses.

Hi

Have a search for s7Raw

It has quite a good auto CA removal function that works quite well on my Fuji S100FS and that has horrible CA., its so bad that in some shots it looks like they are old 3D pictures.

Paul

oops ignore this, just found out it only works with Fuji RAW Files.

I should just clarify that the example above was take with my Sony DCR-HC96 in 3mp stills mode.
The sample is about 10% of the Image so the effect is magnified.

Maybe someone can throw some light on why there is "white" pixel where there is a transition between a black edge and blue sky as opposed to a mid blue? :thinking:

Back