Repairs

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I was going to swop my Nikon equipment for Canon but have hit a problem. Sent my D800 and 2 lenses to mbp with a view to PX but they have told me that the sensor on my camera has a mark on it and both lenses have fungus in them.
Where is the nearest reputable place to Nottingham to get these all sorted ?.

Last edited:
Regarding my previous posting.

This is a copy of the email sent to MPB.

I have just returned from Lehmann Ltd Nikon Service agents Stoke on Trent where the 70-200 & the 24-70 lenses have been checked over as you reported them as having fungus in them.
Lehmanns have reported to me that there is NO fungus in either of the lenses and both are fully working and excellent condition. I guess mpb really did not want them, needless to say I will not be offering them to MPB, did not bother taking the D800 for sensor clean as we have a professional cleaner coming to the CC in the new year, so I thought I would support the club.

I had a reply from MPB to my email to them, they have offered to re examine my lenses again if I let them have them back, my reply was "I don't think so". They had their chance, it makes you wonder about their appraisal process these day's. I have dealt with them before and have never had a complaint.

I had a similar experience recently.
I sent in a load of Olympus kit, then got an email telling me the body which was like new, never been out of the house, had marks and wouldn't take a picture, they returned it for me to find the mode dial still locked in manual mode with exposure settings that would have topped out the max ISO setting I had set of 1600, thus it wouldn't shoot and produce a viewable image! it took me 2 mins if that to reset it to factory settings, unlock the dial and take pictures.
I gave it a quick wipe with a cloth to remove my fingerprints and sent it back via they're courier and it went through fine this time.
I have to stress they where very good throughout and resolved the issue without any cost to me at all, but I did suggest that maybe someone who's doing the checking needs to learn to unlock a mode dial or change exposure settings before casting judgement.

Last edited:
I too had the same from Park cameras when wanting to do a lens P/X. i was told they had fungus but when I challanged they backed down and admitted it didn't. I guess it is a standard excuse to take in lenses on the cheap

Last edited:
it took me 2 mins if that to reset it to factory settings, unlock the dial and take pictures.
I gave it a quick wipe with a cloth to remove my fingerprints and sent it back via they're courier and it went through fine this time.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised you didn't do all that in the first place, I reset everything back to factory setting before I sell anything.

I have used MPB many times in the past with no issues. A couple of weeks ago I sent them my Panasonic 12-35 and got an email to say that there was moisture in the lens and they wouldn't take it. I was really surprised by this as I had checked it very carefully before sending it.

I couldn't see anything when I got it back so took it to my local camera store to have it checked over - they couldn't see any problem. Sent it to Ffordes who today phoned and offered me a decent price on it.

Not sure who is doing the testing at MPB at the moment but seems odd that a few people are having issues.

Not sure who is doing the testing at MPB at the moment but seems odd that a few people are having issues.

From the constant barrage of emails I am getting from them at the moment regarding reduced prices I wonder if they have too much stock and it's their way of making sure they don't take in anything that may be a bit more difficult to sell. I have a cheap Canon lens being picked up today which has never been used so it will be interesting to see if I get any comments back from them.

From the constant barrage of emails I am getting from them at the moment regarding reduced prices I wonder if they have too much stock and it's their way of making sure they don't take in anything that may be a bit more difficult to sell. I have a cheap Canon lens being picked up today which has never been used so it will be interesting to see if I get any comments back from them.

If this is the case (which it might be given the time of year) I would far rather they just say they're not taking items in rather than wasting my time.

I have used MPB many times in the past with no issues. A couple of weeks ago I sent them my Panasonic 12-35 and got an email to say that there was moisture in the lens and they wouldn't take it. I was really surprised by this as I had checked it very carefully before sending it.

I couldn't see anything when I got it back so took it to my local camera store to have it checked over - they couldn't see any problem. Sent it to Ffordes who today phoned and offered me a decent price on it.

Even though they wanted to have another look at my lenses I decided to go to Ffordes who also did me a better deal. MBP have also lost out on a purchase as I was going to buy a Canon 5D3 from them. I can't help wondering if the lens inspector needs to go to Specsavers or if they have to much stock.

Exactly the same as Dave Proctor above post, I sent in a Fuji lens that i had bought from them a couple of months previously never been out of the house with it took 3 shots in total with it through the lounge window of a robin on a wheelbarrow, put it back in pouch with silica gel , yet MPB refused it as it had moisture in the lens , since, had it checked out nothing there.

Back