Replace 18-55 and 70-300 canon lenses for 18-250 sigma?

Edit My Images
No
Just as the title suggests I am contemplating replacing my two "standard" lenses for one. Will it be an upgrade or will there be very little difference in quality? What are your thoughts or advice

Personally I've never been a fan of the 'one lens fits all' solution, and believe that lenses that cover such a wide zoom range are a jack-of-all-trades with too many compromises to work really well anywhere in the range they cover.

Having said all that, I have no first hand experience of any of the lenses you mention, so can't make an informed decision as to the comparative qualities to help you in your choice.

I hear what you are saying. I just thought one lens would mean less changing. I have heard the sigma has very good image quality compared with what I have despite it being a "jack of all trades"

I had an 18-270 Tamron PZD for a short while, I found low to mid range was okay, but anything shot at above 70/80mm wasn't really worth keeping...

Never been a fan of an "all in one lens", feel there is to much of a compromise, although I can see the benefit to one in certain areas.
Personally I wouldn't swap my lenses for one. I'd see what focal length you generally use and then save up to buy a good quality lens covering that range.

Just as the title suggests I am contemplating replacing my two "standard" lenses for one. Will it be an upgrade or will there be very little difference in quality? What are your thoughts or advice

These hyperzooms are aimed at the happy snappy brigade. They all mouth and no substance. Its for the P&S people who progressed to a DSLR but like the fact that their P&S had a all in one zoom.

A DSLR is a interchangeable lens system, is designed for changing lenses. The best zoom lenses have a ratio of 1:4 like the 70-200mm. When the ratio gets bigger 18-250mm 1:14 the image quality drops off unless you pay a fortune for the lens, but as 99% of these hyperzooms are at budget prices you get average results.

So to sum up. My two "cheap" lenses will give better quality than the one "not so cheap" lens ?

Back