Replace 24-70 & 70-200 (canon fit)

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
After reading loads of stuff on here and on the web in general I bought a tamron 24-70 2.8 and a tamron 70-200 2.8 to use for weddings and general portraiture. I've been using these for a couple of months and decided I don't really like them as prefer my 24-105L to the 24-70 and the 70-200 is that big and heavy it doesn't really come out of the bag. I plan on getting rid of the pair of tamrons but unsure what to replace the long zoom with. I have two 6d bodies, a 24-105L and 50mm 1.8 but what would you guys recommend for a decent long(ish) zoom to round out the kit? I've considered a another canon 70-200 but although they smaller than the tamron I'd prefer something maybe even a tad smaller. My budget is anything upto £700 and would prefer canon. The best lens I've ever owned was a canon 15-85 so I'm not bothered about the "L" .

The 70-200 F4 Canon is lightweight
its one of my favourite lenses really sharp and quick focus
the 55-250 STM is highly rated but I haven't used one myself

The one reason I didn't buy the 70 - 200 2.8 was the weight the f4is is a really nice lens and a lot lighter. But for weddings I think you need to look at your style

Not that I've ever done a wedding but I would have thought that IS would be an advantage. So I would go for a Canon 70-200 f4 IS. Half the weight of the f2.8 and the 4 stop stabiliser is excellent.

With two FF bodies you dont have a great deal of choice really.

as above, with weddings what is your style and go for that, with us using two we tend to have myself on the longer lenses taking the candids and Iain on the shorter setups taking the more formals, so I always use the 70-200 2.8 on one body and a shorter 17-50 2.8 on the other body but rarely pull that untill we are in tight confines or a wide angle of the church or venue.

Go for what suits you best, if you don't need the 200mm then I personally wouldnt waste the money on getting another, maybe a macro or something like that? :)

Obvious answer is Canon 70-200/4 L IS. Have you tried one? There's nothing else like it for FF, apart from the non-IS version. Half the weight of the 2.8, night and day different.

Thanks for the replies.

I used to own a 70-200 f4 non is but that was when I had a 550d (still actually have the 550d but it's now been handed down my two the kids).

I'll probably get shot down for this but don't actually have a style as yet as did my first wedding a week gone sat and my second last Saturday.

What I do know though, is that the tamron is just to heavy and big for me to be comfortable with and I don't like the fact that the zoom ring turns turns the opposite way to canon.

I did some training with a guy last week (Robert Usher) and he uses a really wide angle on one body and something like a 28-300 on the other which is aimed at the consumer. Now this has made me second guess everything I've previously read about lenses for weddings but I suppose that suits his style.

What is the difference between is and non is? I mean how much of a slower shutter speed can you handhold at?

Well if you go by the recognised wisdom of your minimum shutter speed should be 1/ the focal length of the lens with no IS then in theory you could get away with 1/25 at 200mm with a four stop IS.

In reality some people have steadier hands and better technique than others and can use slower speeds than others. But the Canon 4 stop IS is well worth having IMO.

The best IS systems, including the 70-200/4 IS, are pretty similar these days. Whatever your hand-holding limit, you should be able to get away with three stops below that with around 90% hit rate with acceptable sharpness, maybe 50% at four stops below. There's safety in numbers though when you're on the limit, with or without IS, and shooting three or four frames together whenever possible will greatly improve your scores.

Bear in mind though that IS can do nothing about subject movement and when you're down to say 1/30sec, even people not apparently doing much like just sitting chatting can be blurred. Again, shooting a short sequence will improve your luck here.

Will agree with the above really, don't have that lens in particular but I have the Canon 300mm F4 IS and I can get decent handheld shots with that at much slower shutter speeds than I'd normally expect for a 300mm lens.

I wouldn't dream of using 70-200mm f4 IS at 1/30s (you know, people move, and there is still a fair chance of shake blur), but apart from that technicality it is a great lens. It looks a little too small though!

Back