Replacement for the Olympus OM-2

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
Just got confirmation of my insurance claim for the broken OM-2, so I am looking for a replacement. A few things I noticed in using the OM-2. I was initially thinking getting a direct replacement, may be the OM-2N (so don't have the foam issue) but after thinking about how I felt about using the camera, I am having 2nd thoughts.

The biggest aspect I want to "improve" is the Shutter Speed doesn't go nearly high enough, I had ISO 50 Velvia in and had to stop down more times than i liked to. So 1/4000th would be great

So I am back looking at the Nikon FM2 again, I would get it with a 50/1.4 if that happens.

But If I stick with Olympus, which model starts offering 1/4000th?

Thanks

Could you explain what you're trying to acheive?

If you're attempting to get minimal depth of field in bright light, neutral density filters are your friends.

Reactions: zx9
Is it even possible to get such a fast shutter speed at such a low ISO? It would be easier to use a faster film.

Is it even possible to get such a fast shutter speed at such a low ISO? It would be easier to use a faster film.
Using the "Sunny 16" rule as a guide, f16 at 1/60th is the starting point for ISO 50 .

To get a f1.4 lens wide open would therefor require 1/8000th. My Nikon F4 could manage that but I never tried it out (indeed I had forgotten it could get that fast until I looked it up just now).

Last edited:
If you want fast shutter speeds then the Minolta Dynax 9 is the one to have as it has 1/12000 as top speed. It's absolutely nothing like an OM-2N at all. But it does have cool features like mid roll rewind. Best camera I've ever owned.

Minolta 50mm 1.7 is rather nice too.

No idea what they cost compared to the OM-2N either. Don't get the dynax 7 though as they have an aperture issue that turns them into scrap. That's got 1/8000 as fastest shutter speed. The 9 doesn't seem to have the same failure point.

I'll get my coat :)

IIRC the top end Nikon cameras of the day (FM2, FE2, FA) all did 1/4000 and so did the Canon T90. Not sure any Olympus film cameras ever did go that fast.

Last edited:
The only film camera I can think of that runs to 1/8000 is a Leica R8 or R9.
The R8 can be found at reasonable prices although lenses are still costly.

I think you got it backwards.

I want to use wide aperture so low ISO and fast shutter speed would be needed, Faster film would make the matter worse.

Last edited:
IIRC the top end Nikon cameras of the day (FM2, FE2, FA) all did 1/4000 and so did the Canon T90. Not sure any Olympus film cameras ever did go that fast.

Yeah, I notice FM2 does 1/4000th. I want to stick with the manual feel of the camera and the look of one from the 70’s before everything went all plastic.

I guess that’s the front runner at the moment.

This just popped up....

Bought it !

Last edited:
I think you got it backwards.

I want to use wide aperture so low ISO and fast shutter speed would be needed, Faster film would make the matter worse.
That's entirely possible. I'll shut up now.

Yeah, I notice FM2 does 1/4000th. I want to stick with the manual feel of the camera and the look of one from the 70’s before everything went all plastic.

I guess that’s the front runner at the moment.
There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the FM series - I used a FM2 at one point. Just be aware that they weren't built to the same standard as the F series and there are some heavily thrashed ones around, which look OK because they were used on tripods or such like. The F3 goes to 1/2000th. The F4, which does go to 1/8000th, is big, incredibly tough and has the best viewfinder I ever found in a film SLR. It came in three basic configurations, depending on which battery pack you fitted: F4 with 4, AA cells; F4s with 6, AA cells and F4e with 6, AA cells or MN20 NiCad. The battery packs are interchangeable with one another. This is My F4s...

Nikon F4 front.JPG

If you can find an F4 without the big chunky S battery pack, paired with a 50mm f1.4 either AF or manual, they make a very nice all day camera.

If you can find an F4 without the big chunky S battery pack, paired with a 50mm f1.4 either AF or manual, they make a very nice all day camera.

Thanks, but actually bought the FM2 now. It's a good price at £160, just need a lens now.

I want to stick with the manual feel of the camera and the look of one from the 70’s before everything went all plastic.
That will rule out Olympus unless you are happy to use neutral density filters as the OM1s and OM2s have, as you know, a 1/1000 top speed, and the OM3s and OM4s only go up to 1/2000 top speed. A downside of the neutral density filters will be a dimmer viewfinder.

However, assuming the Sunny 16 rule is modified to Sunny 11 to allow for the weaker UK sun, 1/2000 would get you f2 in bright sunshine (I think).

Back