Replacement Ground Glass

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
I came home after a couple of days away to find the ground glass in my monorail thingy smashed. Looks like it's been hit with something, but apparently nobody has been near it. It does have a page magnifier taped to it, it's a long shot, but could that have anything to do with it randomly cracking?

Anyway, as you probably guessed, I need a new ground glass! I habe no idea what to go for, only heard a couple of names that people seem to make a bit of fuss about - Yanke and Beattie. Ideally I'd like something with a fresnel thing as the old one was just about unusable in anything but sunlight and vignetted quite severely. Can anyone recommend what to go for? Something with a grid would be nice, apart from that I'm not too fussed, as long is it isn't too far from £60-ish!

Edit: I should probably say, it's 5x4!

Last edited:
Is the mount for the ground glass metal, and if so, has it a strong grip on the glass? It is *possible*, though very unlikely, that if it was left exposed to the sun, the mount may have warped in the heat. A long shot, but possible?

As for replacements, I couldn't really help to be honest... It's not something I have much experience with I'm afraid :/

Seems quite unlikely given the recent weather and all! It is metal though, and quite tight. It does look like something has hit it though, by the way it's cracked. I'll have a look anyway, cheers!

I looked at those Samuel, yes, just not entirely sure yet. I'll do some reading before actually purchasing anything, but the Yanke ones do seem to be the best that are readily available. I saw that a couple of months ago I think, the APUG thing, seems easier than I thought! I doubt I'd be able to compete with most others though, haha.

Thanks for the replies :)

Back