Replacement needed for my Spyder 4 to work on a Mac... recommendations please.

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
I discovered today that my Spyder 4 wouldn't work with Catalina - a recent change. Anyway, I would like to hear your recommendations, please.

Is it that the combination of the instrument and the spyder software won't work with catalina?
I had a similar thing thing with spyder 3 and win 10 , the spyder software was not compatible with the OS but the colourimeter was OK.
I found some quite sophisticated calibration software as a trial , (I think it wanted a contribution ) it worked very well with the spyder 3 colourimeter but eventually that gave up the ghost so I uninstalled the software and unfortunately can't recall what it was-(google is your friend https://displaycal.net/)
Don't know if it works on a mac but have a look and see.

My Spyder5Pro software is compatible with Catalina.

Just checked on the Spyder website

Datacolor has announced in spring 2019, that by August 1st 2019, we are not developing Spyder4 software updates for upcoming operating systems any more. Spyder4 was released in 2012. We recommend upgrading to the new SpyderX: https://spyderx.datacolor.com/

Last edited:
I would try that display cal thing first. If you decide on changing I would suggest changing brands for X-rite. They seem to support older devices without so much fuss and well my old one of a similar vintage still works fully with latest.

It is also a case of apple completely changing their base system with every refresh cycle which puts an enormous pressure on manufacturers for new drivers and eventually "breaks" all older but perfectly good peripherals without inbuilt support (like generic mouse for example).

I would try that display cal thing first. If you decide on changing I would suggest changing brands for X-rite. They seem to support older devices without so much fuss and well my old one of a similar vintage still works fully with latest.

It is also a case of apple completely changing their base system with every refresh cycle which puts an enormous pressure on manufacturers for new drivers and eventually "breaks" all older but perfectly good peripherals without inbuilt support (like generic mouse for example).
+1 as above try display cal, and if that does not work for you have a look at i1 display.

I use i1 display with my machine and prefer it over the Spyder 3 pro I had a few years ago.

Back