Replacing a focus screen

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm about to replace the focus screen on a 30D...anybody out there have any tips or "do's and don'ts".

Bob

Good luck Bob ;) Can you send me your broken 30D if it doesn't work out :LOL: Thought I'd get in first ;). Seriously though, I did see somewhere on the net and it looked pretty straightforward so I'm sure you will do it just fine.

Good luck Bob ;) Can you send me your broken 30D if it doesn't work out :LOL: Thought I'd get in first ;). Seriously though, I did see somewhere on the net and it looked pretty straightforward so I'm sure you will do it just fine.

Maybe I should just send you the 30D and save myself the grief.
It would save all this hassle and expense if all bugs were laser marked with a cross-hair....(Note to Darwin...Charlie Boy, next time maybe?)

Bob

When I did mine I was pleased that it was much easier than I expected so hopefully that will assure a little but none the less, take care! I would say the most important thing is to fully understand which clips you have to bend and in which direction before you set out, and I would advise foregoing tweezers and protective bits of cloth for the mirror and instead use caution.

At one point I was using tweezers and my hands - I think you are better off with smudges than a scratch and its a tactile task. Take your time, and keep some tissue to get the sweat off your palms. Once you've done the job once you'll find it easy every time after, its just getting your head around the steps ahead.

Do you have a split prism focus screen? if so, you'll be very happy once it's in. I love mine - very worth the cash and I'm amazed they are offered as an option when you buy them new! I can't imagine anyone not wanting one? Sorry for the non specific tips and egg sucking notion of my post... I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck :)

Yes, it'll be a laser cut split screen from KatzEyes. I intend to keep the body just for macro usage after the change.

It's on the "Brown Van" now :woot::woot:...oooops, sorry...this isn't POTN is it :LOL:

Bob

good luck
and do take pics of the saga so we can all see how you did!

Something I've been thinking of doing myself, let us know how you get on.

I change the focus screen on my 5D all the time (probably 3-4 times a week) between the matt screen and the AF screen. One thing to remember is never try to clean your focus screen with a brush of any kind. You will end up scratching it to bits, like I have with both of mine.

My tip - do it in the bathroom, far less dust. You'll be amazed how many dust spots you'll introduce in the short time it takes to swap the screen out - unless my house it esp. dusty that is... gawd I hope my wife doesn't read this :D

Did my 20D and made a right mess, so much dust got in it. I had to get it cleaned by a Canon service centre. So dont do it.

Wow, I didn't get a single spec in mine (i dont think anyway) and I did the stop down and photo the sky test too. Don't do it somewhere dusty I guess.

Let us know how you get on!

Wow, I didn't get a single spec in mine (i dont think anyway) and I did the stop down and photo the sky test too. Don't do it somewhere dusty I guess.

Let us know how you get on!

I think you getting sensor and focus screen confused. If you get dust in your focus screen you won't see it in photos, but you will see it in your view finder.

# Turn your camera off and remove the lens
# Place the camera gently upside down on a stable surface and using tweezers remove the metal bracket from inside your camera
# Still using the tweezers, remove the original focus screen
# Replace with your new split image focus screen
# Gently shake the camera to ensure the screen is in place
# Replace the metal bracket and lens

Or here full pdf

Can you send me your broken 30D if it doesn't work out :LOL:
Step 1...fill out RMSD form to Alby

Take your time, and keep some tissue to get the sweat off your palms. :)
Kleenex at the ready

...and do take pics of the saga so we can all see how you did!
YMBJ :puke:

Something I've been thinking of doing myself, let us know how you get on.
Alby to confirm safe delivery

I change the focus screen on my 5D all the time (probably 3-4 times a week) between the matt screen and the AF screen.
I suggest you buy a 2nd 5D....Alby, worth putting your name down for this one too.

My tip - do it in the bathroom, far less dust.
Good idea, different reason !

Did my 20D and made a right mess, so much dust got in it. I had to get it cleaned by a Canon service centre. So dont do it.
Address please....Alby, you're option #2 now.

Wow, I didn't get a single spec in mine (i dont think anyway) and I did the stop down and photo the sky test too.
Ordered Sky

# Turn your camera off and remove the lens
# Place the camera gently upside down on a stable surface and using tweezers remove the metal bracket from inside your camera
# Still using the tweezers, remove the original focus screen
# Replace with your new split image focus screen
# Gently shake the camera to ensure the screen is in place
# Replace the metal bracket and lens
Or here full pdf
Thoroughly read through...thanks

The little beastie has arrived so it's this evening or Friday...popping over to Germany for a few days.
Watch this space and thanks for the advice

Bob

Back again.....half an hour, done and dusted. A little concerned that the retaining clip wasn't seating properly on the top edge but it's not fallen out despite vigorous shaking.
A quick MP-E shot of a sheet of pure white paper doesn't show any dust but I do have a minor smudge on the mirror.

Seems to be a simple enough task although I don't plan on repeating it 3-4 times a week.

Shot a few barcodes with AF and MF and can't see any discrepancies.....good to go.

Thanks for the encouraging words and don't await the postman Alby.

Bob

Just popped back to see how this went and am glad to see it went well... retaining clip hold firm for you?

It's not such a bad job really is it?

How are you finding your new screen in use?

Just popped back to see how this went and am glad to see it went well... retaining clip hold firm for you?

It's not such a bad job really is it?

How are you finding your new screen in use?

Yep, the clip's still in place. The viewfinder is much darker but the preview lights on the MR-14 or MT-24 sort that out. I think Spring and Summer ambient light will prevent the need for this though.
Focus is much easier though....far fewer slight misses.

Bob

Back