Replacing a HD in a nas - do I need to format (brand) new drive first ?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am about to swap both my WD red HD's for some larger ones. Set up is raid 1, so an exact mirror of each other.
I've read up on how to 'fool' the nas into thinking that one of the existing drives is faulty, but haven't been able to find out if I need to format the new ones first - can anyone enlighten me (please and thanks !)

In the case of my DLink NAS, the drive doesn't use a standard format, and all new drives must be formatted within the NAS itself.

You're going to have let the raid rebuild twice using that method. You may as well replace both at the same time, build the raid and the copy your data back on.

That sounds logical - I guess it would be just a case of connecting one of the original drives via usb to the nas ?
Thanks again Neil !

That sounds logical - I guess it would be just a case of connecting one of the original drives via usb to the nas ?
Thanks again Neil !
Not necessarily. Nas drives are often proprietary format or Linux formatted.

Do you not have a second copy of the data?

I wouldn't attempt anything with the nas without a backup data set (which you should have anyway) in case something goes pear shaped.

Not necessarily. Nas drives are often proprietary format or Linux formatted.

Do you not have a second copy of the data?

I wouldn't attempt anything with the nas without a backup data set (which you should have anyway) in case something goes pear shaped.
I do, two in fact..!
I'll use one of them then.....

To be honest I would back up all the data twice just to be sure and replace both drives and just make a larger raid 1 drive.
just done the same with a 4 disk micro server, I had 3xdisks in a raid 5 with a hot spare.
rebuilt as a raid 6 setup with the 4 disks,

Back